• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-3820 or SB-E: overclocking templates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

OK, I'm still having problems w/this o'clocking this system. I did 8 hours of orthos testing (6 cores of FFT, and two cores of blend [which stresses the memory]) at 132 * 36 = 4752. The next day, I tried to boot the system at these settings and couldn't get into Windows XP or Windows 7. Here's the settings I had.

CPU ratio 36
core current limit 511
additional turbo voltage auto
DRAM DDR3-2112 (16 * 132)
CPU core 1.385(1.384V @ indicated at idle in XP/7, 1.392V indicated under load in XP/7, 1.384-1.392V indicated in BIOS)
VCSSA voltage 1.3V
Vtt voltage 1.296V
PLL 1.753V
DRAM voltage 1.598
LLC 1
PCH 1.1 Voltage 1.120V (1.120V indicated in Asrock util)
PCH 1.5 Voltage 1.55V
short/long power duration 999
tFAW 29 (tRRD 7), CR (command rate) 1N, 10-11-11-27

If someone could post their successful overclocking BIOS settings for their SB-E rigs I'd appreciate it.

Templates are not the best idea, especially where you are at the moment. What will work with one may not work on the other and you are already in the ballpark (not starting from scratch where a template may be worthwhile to get you started) which is what others will be giving you. Not to mention, we like to teach, not give handouts (give a man a fish... teach a man to fish...sure you have heard of that... ;))

Anyway, what sticks out to me, is you have DDR3 1600Mhz ram running at 2112. Can you lower the ram speed and see if it is the ram that is the problem?

What other settings have you tried as far as voltage and other? You just left us with settings but nothing else. I, and I am sure others, would like to hear what you have done so far so we do not waste our time guessing at efforts you have already made and do not work? Can you elaborate a bit on 'not booting to windows the next day'. As in, where does it get hung up in the boot process specifically? What did you have to do to get it to boot again?

Also, what does this mean? "8 hours of orthos testing (6 cores of FFT, and two cores of blend [which stresses the memory])".
Does this mean in Orthos you set it to run 6 cores of FFT and 2 cores of blend at the same time? Quite confused there. I do not use Orthos (overkill like IBT/Linx/OCCT - I use AIDA64 or Prime95), so no idea if you can set it in that manner. That said, I don't know why you would set it in that manner in the first place.. makes zero sense why one would split things up like that. Test out Small FFT on all cores, then blend on all cores. Splitting them up...still can't wrap my head around that method, LOL!

Last edited:
This Overclock is backwards way on, i would go with ED, chuck out these profiles into the Trash Can to begin with. This 3820 is one of easy CPU to OC being it runs relatively cool as compared to the other ones.

So for my 10c its increase the Multi and set your Ram Speed and voltage, Disable your Cstates and away you go, so easy like falling off a log!!!

As for testing again like ED said, P95 Small FFts at first and once you have established a stable platform then test with BLEND!!

Then enter your Bios Overclocking Profiles and save, after that start on the next one that's it!

AJ.

^^ ????

1. He cannot change the multiplier on his chip past turbo boost... He needs to use the bclk past that point.
2. He doesn't have any profiles that we know of. He is asking for other people's settings to try out.

Sorry you are wrong ED you can adjust the Multi up to 44 on this CPU as its only partially locked. Then you can play with the Bclk to get this running anywhere up to 5.0, so if you still do not believe me then watch this video on the OP's Mobo on how to OC a 3820 CPU.

Enjoy my friend!!

AJ.

I stand corrected by Ajay... time to off myself... :p. Thanks! :)

After further research, it seems like 43x is the max even though you can set it to 44x.

Point still remains though, that we need to see what the OP has done and help him through it. He is well past the point of cookie cutter settings working IMO since they will all be in the ballpark already. OP needs to, with our (the site's) help, get through this roadblock. :)

Last edited:
With the video of a Asrock Bios it should not be a deal breaker, i just posted the Vid to show the way. It was only intended as a basic guide, but it shows what can be achieved with this CPU + MOBO ED!

AJ.

Sorry you are wrong ED you can adjust the Multi up to 44 on this CPU as its only partially locked. Then you can play with the Bclk to get this running anywhere up to 5.0, so if you still do not believe me then watch this video on the OP's Mobo on how to OC a 3820 CPU.

Enjoy my friend!!

AJ.

Thanks Ajay.

I just wanted some idea of what peeps were running their Vtt, VCCSA, Vcore and PCH voltages at.

I don't have any problems running a 4.6 Ghz o'clock on this board/CPU -- it's anything higher that seems to be a problem, but maybe it can't be done w/1.4V Vcore anyway, and I'm not going to go over that after ED's warning not to.

The video shows he has a BCLK setting of 125.2. Does setting fractional BCLK's actually work?

Yes it does you can set it to what ever the steps allow in your Bios, as for the Vcore yep 1.4v is the everyday setting to use anymore would slowly degrade the CPU overtime, i am glad that i could help you. So back to you again.

1, I just wanted some idea of what peeps were running their Vtt, VCCSA, Vcore and PCH voltages at.

As for this try Google that's what i did for the Overclocking.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AJ.

Last edited:
On some boards you can set decimal place bclk, on others you can't IIRC. That said, you do not usually get an exact whole number bclkb in the first place regardless if you do not have such granular control (spread spectrum).

On some boards you can set decimal place bclk, on others you can't IIRC. That said, you do not usually get an exact whole number bclkb in the first place regardless if you do not have such granular control (spread spectrum).

How bizarre. I managed to set my BCLK to 132.5 and while the BIOS didn't pick it up or report it, CPUz did.

I wonder if it's really setting these fractional frequencies, or just reporting what the BIOS settings are? Kinda like what you said about
GPUz reporting the voltage as being set at 1.71V for my 6970, even though it's impossible.

Can PLL affect the overclocking of SB-E's? I've read somewhere that PLL has no affect on o'clocking SB-E's, but when I use the built-in Asrock BIOS templates it jacks the PLL voltages up to above 1.8V (1.811V for 4.6 Ghz and even more for 4.8 Ghz). It looks like the maximum PLL voltage is 2.0V for SB-E's. The built-in BIOS template also has a much lower Vcore -- right around 1.33V.

Back