• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 + Hypers - Livestream Sunday 5/29 @ ~2PM EST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
[Done] i7 920 + Hypers - Livestream Sunday 5/29 @ ~2PM EST

Haven't decided on a time yet, but probably starting early/mid-afternoon after the ice cream shop opens and I can pick up some DICE.

I should be getting my new (to me) set of 2x3gb Hypers from IMOG hopefully by Friday so I will have some more pre-test time Friday/Saturday and time to get everything insulated and ready to go.

I hope my 58a-UD3R doesn't disappoint with a huge bclk wall! I want to see 5ghz+ out of my CPU! I also hope that the Koolance v1 has enough 'power' in it to appropriately cool my 920 :mad:

I'm live!

Edit I'm Done!

signature.img

Final Results:

CPU-Z 5245mhz for 20.4 Points
WPrime32M 4.828 for .8 Globals + 19.7 Points
SuperPi1M 8.031 for 18.2 Points
WPrime1024m 160.375 for 14.2 Points
SuperPi32M 7m 41.593 for 12.3 Points
Pifast 17.08 for 10.0 Points

Total Bointage: .8 Globals + 91.1 Hardware

Last edited:
Very nice! I'll be there for sure. :D

I got 5500MHz out of the V1 I borrowed from 87dtna when I first started going cold. Granted this was on an AMD 965BE, with the unlock multiplier so it was very simple to get that high. I bet you can get your goal. This was even on my third cold session.

excellent!

Maybe I'll finally have some time for some 3d benching (although that may push over to Monday -- yay 3 day weekend) on my 6950(6970) if everything goes well.

I hope to be there. I have a 920 waiting to be benched. I need to watch and learn.
I am hoping to bench some amd stuff this weekend if I can mange to get some Ln2.

A V1 will do fine on a 920. I ran my old 920 on a Dragon Evo 2.4 (very low mass pot, and very similar internals to the V1) and it handled fine. Wprime load was a bit warmer, but 2d's are all very easy on DIce.

I hope that we/I have someone around that can give some advice for finer-tuning bios settings (skews/other voltages/pci-e/which timings to tighten/loosen first/etc)

With a lower mass pot you may not be able to hold temps on the longer benches like wp1024, but it will work just as good on cpuz validations and spi1m

Hmm, looks like my board (58a-UD3R Rev1.0) has a max bclk of 221 (@1.415v) and it couldn't get to 222 after trying up to 1.5 QPI volts (using bios or setfsb). Don't know if it is safe to push any more than that, but I doubt I will get any more out of it after trying to add almost an entire .1v for a single bclk (someone correct me if I'm wrong) -- although I need to test for a bclk hole -- tested for up to 230 and no boot up to 1.535 QPI/VTT.

Which this basically leaves me at my already-max reached cpu-z numbers on hwbot. Unfortunately that leads me to believe it isn't worth going DICE if I am motherboard limited unless anyone else has any tweaks/ideas for me.

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like my board (58a-UD3R Rev1.0) has a max bclk of 221 (@1.415v) and it couldn't get to 222 after trying up to 1.5 QPI volts (using bios or setfsb). Don't know if it is safe to push any more than that, but I doubt I will get any more out of it after trying to add almost an entire .1v for a single bclk (someone correct me if I'm wrong) -- although I need to test for a bclk hole -- tested for up to 230 and no boot up to 1.535 QPI/VTT.

Which this basically leaves me at my already-max reached cpu-z numbers on hwbot. Unfortunately that leads me to believe it isn't worth going DICE if I am motherboard limited unless anyone else has any tweaks/ideas for me.
All of that 1366 stuff sounded like jargon to me :p

But I get the general idea. For example, my E6750 and P5Q have a max FSB (bclk basically yeah) 450ish on air. When benching under DICE I can push it to 515, simply because of the cold. Technically, the same should apply... Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

The only way you're going to know for sure is if you try it and see. Can't hurt to try, right?

Yeah, but it won't even post if I try anything higher than 221bclk, although I'm not sure of the max safe voltage it can handle with a fan blowing right on the NB.

Yeah, but it won't even post if I try anything higher than 221bclk, although I'm not sure of the max safe voltage it can handle with a fan blowing right on the NB.

Either way, I say give it a shot, you never know. If it doesn't work out you could always break down and bench one of your 775 setups. :thup:

That is a very common place to run into a wall on air.
Question: Where is your PCIe set?
Set it to 110mhz with bclk at a known-good place (say, 200).
If it posts, start turning the bclk up again.
If it doesn't post, you can try Dice just in case, but you may simply be out of luck. High PCIe is key to 1366 OCing.

I've only tried to 104, I'll give 110 a shot

update: tried through 114 and go up to 223mhz bclk. how high do you go with pci-e? until it won't boot anymore?

Also I have put my PCI-E voltage to 1.6, what would the safety level for that one be?

Last edited:
:rofl: Don't let 221 stop you. And make sure you're in slowmode when pushing blck. My R2E crapped the bed at 228 on air and I was like "awh crap. I have a golden chip and a sh**ty board." The next day, I got DIce and hit 255. :rofl:

Over 110 to 115 can corrupt windows installs pretty quick, I generally ran 113 or so.

Cold should get you plenty more bclk, given that PCIe can go up it's definitely worth taking it cold.

Interesting, so with the cold from the dice spreading over the mobo and a fan on the northbridge what is the most volts you would put through it? I assume the limitation is in the qpi/vtt volts.

You won't want to put extra volts through the northbridge as it typically won't affect overclocking results.

The only voltages you'll need to change on DIce would be DRAM, VTT (Uncore) and Vcore.

Oh sorry stuck in 755 mindset I meant qpi/vtt voltage

Back