• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 over heating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spykra

I have an intel i7 920 cpu on an intel dx58so board. I had it build 4 yrs ago, and only maintenance is cleaning dust monthly. When I got it I used apps to see temperature (3rd party), and don't remember them being high at all. However when I check my temperatures today with Intel Control Center, the temperature starts at 95 and climbs to 99 when under load, but never over 99. My bios is most recent, and all bios settings are 'optimal defaults'.

If the temperatures are correct, and if they have been like this for a year or two, how much life expectancy do I have for the cpu? My psu is thermaltake toughpower 750.

I would appreciate troubleshooting.

check the tim, id replace it and willing to bet that is the problem.

I took my heatsink off and found that is likely the problem. How many grams is likely needed for a cpu? How about enough for an entire computer? How much is safe to buy for bridges and cpu? I see 10g to 60g.

Even 4g is enough for several CPU applications...you don't need to use very much TIM. Watch some videos on YouTube about TIM application to see how little to apply.

spykra, be careful... too much tim is just as bad as too little.. do some research before you do this... I learned a long time ago about this as I fried a P2.. learned my lesson for sure. I had oh triple the amount that was really needed... oh the joys of being a n00b

Back