• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I picked up an old computer from my fraternity and to keep the story short I put an old desktop power supply in it to test it. This power supply only has the 20 pin header and 4 pin cpu where the motherboard can take 24 and 8. The cpu fan spins slowly and the power lights light up, but nothing else. Do you think it is functional with a better power supply? I think it works but isn't getting enough power.

Does the board require the 4 pin cpu on the board? If so may be possible, also they make a 20 to 24 pin converter for PSU’s, did you have another PSU to try

The system works! I moved the ram into ram slot 1 from slot 3 and it works fine.

Last edited:
I do not have another PSU to try. This one is rated for only 250W so it might not even be enough. It was working before someone took the power supply, but when I got to it, the cpu and heatsink were removed with the socket wide open. I only found the cpu after moving it and finding it rolling around in the case. I just want to part it out and get some money. Do you think the fan spinning at all is a sign of it working?

Definitely some signs of life if fans spin up, I’d pull ram and if it post beeps then it’s got some signs of posting so it’s gotta be.

A lot of OEM motherboards require the #1 RAM slot to be populated.

A lot of OEM motherboards require the #1 RAM slot to be populated.

This, but also check the cpu for brut contacts. sometimes the ram controller in the cpu will fail on 1366 CPUs and your loose the 3rd ram channel.

Last edited:
Back