• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 vs q66

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

I'm curious of this scenario
q6600 overclock 3.7 on x48 asus rampage
vs i7 920 on x58 rampage 2 board
given the ram and everything else is close to spec
how muah faster is i7???
Is it worth thee upgrade

It probably depends on the program. But I think the i7 generally even beats the Q9550 by a certain margin. If we're comparing the i7 at about 4GHz to a Q6600 at 3.7GHz, my guess is the improvement is 33%+ if it's not a game extremely limited by the video card. Though benchmarks would probably provide a better answer than what I did.

If you have a Q6600, unless you're just itching with upgrade fever, there's not much need for you to upgrade.

I just upgraded from an old athlon 64 x2 3700+ @ 2.7ghz to a core i7 920 @ 3.4 ghz currently. The difference is night and day. Everything is much faster. But that was to be expected with what i had before.

I still say though, after using my friends Q6600 overclocked system, that's it's really not worth it for you. you're going to need a new board, ram and processor. it's going to cost a minimum of 600 dollars to do this.

im the king offinding deals i did find a good upgarde to those specs for 500$
but still i think ill wait until jan or so to see what comes and what drops and what not..
new processors come and prices drop so lets see how long i7 socket is going to last first of all ..etc etc..thanks for the replys guys

i7 CPU's as you know it currently (920, 940, 950, 960, 965, 975) might not be all around by the time Jan comes next year. Instead the i5 variant socket with i5 and i7's will come out that will partially replace the current i7 line, and the current i7 line (socket 1366) will be supporting the old Xeon's for it as well as the new 6 Core variants on the 32nm process.

So for performance wise, Q6000's to Q9000's was 10-15% increase in performance per clock. Q9000's to i7's was another 10-15% increase in performance. Give or take a bit depending on the benchmark.

It's threads like this is why I love oc forums
verry informitive useful community
thankyounguys verry much for sharing your knowledge it was verry helpful

i7 CPU's as you know it currently (920, 940, 950, 960, 965, 975) might not be all around by the time Jan comes next year. Instead the i5 variant socket with i5 and i7's will come out that will partially replace the current i7 line, and the current i7 line (socket 1366) will be supporting the old Xeon's for it as well as the new 6 Core variants on the 32nm process.

So for performance wise, Q6000's to Q9000's was 10-15% increase in performance per clock. Q9000's to i7's was another 10-15% increase in performance. Give or take a bit depending on the benchmark.

Sounds about right, even conservative. Going from my Q9300 to 920 has made a massive difference, it is much much faster in everything I use it for, gaming included.

Sounds about right, even conservative. Going from my Q9300 to 920 has made a massive difference, it is much much faster in everything I use it for, gaming included.

I was thinking in a clock per clock aspect for just standard cores.

I have 3D Rendering results of my system @ 3.8Ghz with HT enabled taking on 2.5-3 systems (2x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.0Ghz, and 1x Quad Core @ 2.4Ghz). Ones that still using the 65nm process. Which translated to ~ Power of 21.76Ghz for those systems vs 12.92Ghz + HT. Forgot where I tried to calculate the HT horse power in 1 application but it was considerably faster having HT enabled then disabled at least in that case.

Gamings min frame rates would go up with the current i7's thats for sure. Averages think raised as well. Top was hit or miss depending on the game and the GPU limitations.

Why do I feel like when 6 cores hit next year which is a few
months away, that's goin to lead to i5, i7 becoming dead sockets
truthfully since i5 came literally right after i7 I don't wana buy either this stuff is just too weird and don't feel
either of thease sockets have life expectancy, longevity that 775 did

LGA1156 will be around for a while too. intel plans on GPU on die with dual cores for that socket due out next year. LGA1366 is going to get a 6 core cpu plus i have heard/read about a ?12core? for it as well. i think a 12 core for LGA1366 might be just a rumor but who knows at this point... intel after all released a 6 core cpu for MPGA604 server segment.

Back