• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or i7 9700k and other new build questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see the 10th gen Intel CPU's in my Canadian retailers now. Let's see how this impacts the gen 9 and also AMD?

I'm pretty set on the 3700x with the ASUS ROG x570 Strix Gaming-E. I'll just wait a bit as some of you have suggested till smoke clears from the new release. I found out that my Corsair LPX RAM is Ryzen friendly so that's good. It's only 3000mhz but that's the lowest speed recommended. That's fine for me. Hopefully there's not NVIDIA GPU issues with the AM4 board.

I still may end up with a Intel setup, just depends on pricing but I'm itching to give the AMD a try.

If your LPX use the same IC's as the LED variant than you should have no trouble reaching 3600Ghz with Ryzen (or Intel for that matter) which is where the sweet spot is (for Ryzen).

Unsure what it uses. I have the CMK16GX4M2B3000C15. I am considering getting another 2x8 to fill up all 4 ram slots once I get the new components. I did read that Ryzen 7 3700x likes 3600MHz RAM but as I stated above 3000 seems to be ok if that's all one has.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If your LPX use the same IC's as the LED variant than you should have no trouble reaching 3600Ghz with Ryzen (or Intel for that matter) which is where the sweet spot is (for Ryzen).

Did you mean 3600MHz or GHz? Ryzen 7 3700x is stock 3.6 & TB to 4.4. I'm hoping that I can get the TB with the RAM I have?

Yes. That was my phones incorrect auto-correct. 3600Mhz is what I meant.

EDIT: you can use Thaiphoon Burner (Free IIRC) to find out what IC's you have. The LED kit that Woomack tested was lower density Samsung (CMU16GX4M2C3200C16)

Last edited:
Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I know very little about all this compared to most of you.

Itching to pull the trigger here.

Here's what I have in my shopping cart

1) AMD Ryzen 3700x CPU
2) ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WiFi (I just love how this board looks)
3) SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe PCI-E 500GB Solid State Drive

I'll keep my RAM for now and deal with that down the road if need be.

What about CPU cooling? Are you just going with the stock OEM AMD cooler that comes with the 3700x?

What about CPU cooling? Are you just going with the stock OEM AMD cooler that comes with the 3700x?

It's all in my sig. I'm using the corsair H100i V2. I'm reusing all other parts that are currently in my system, aside from the 3 I'm buying.

Does your H100i have the AM4 mounting hardware? If you bought it before socket AM4 came out it would not unless you have purchased the adapter kit from Corsair separately.

Does your H100i have the AM4 mounting hardware? If you bought it before socket AM4 came out it would not unless you have purchased the adapter kit from Corsair separately.

It does, I checked when I made the original post :D Thank you for asking, I do appreciate it.

I'm now thinking it doesn't make sense to buy a Samsung Evo Plus M2, since it's pretty much the same price as a Corsair Force MP600? The samsung 500GB is $190 if there's no sale and the Corsair is $180 (no sale). Both 500GB. Am I missing something? Why would the PCI-E 4th gen SSD be cheaper?

I'm now thinking it doesn't make sense to buy a Samsung Evo Plus M2, since it's pretty much the same price as a Corsair Force MP600? The samsung 500GB is $190 if there's no sale and the Corsair is $180 (no sale). Both 500GB. Am I missing something? Why would the PCI-E 4th gen SSD be cheaper?
What are the specs and differences? Look it up. :)

I would take the corsair mp600 @ 1tb over the sammy every time

What are the specs and differences? Look it up. :)

A side by side comparison from the sources I know if, shows clearly that the Gen 4 outperforms Gen 3. I don't know how reliable the reviews/comparisons I read are which is why I came here :D. I just don't understand why a gen 4 SSD would be cheaper than gen 3...of a same size drive.

Because of the Samsung premium maybe? It's a mere $10 difference.

I don't know where you shop... but Samsung drives typically fetch a premium over most other drives.

But yeah, Id get the PCIe 4.0 Corsair over the 3.0 samsung.

Pepi93, realize that the Corsair PCIe 4.0 outperforms the Samsung because the Samsung is PCie 3.0. If you not using a motherboard with PCIe 4.0 technology, then that will not hold true. So, if you wind up getting the ASUS ROG x570 Strix Gaming-E you will see that benefit. If you were going instead with a B4xx chipset motherboard you would not.

Pepi93, realize that the Corsair PCIe 4.0 outperforms the Samsung because the Samsung is PCie 3.0. If you not using a motherboard with PCIe 4.0 technology, then that will not hold true. So, if you wind up getting the ASUS ROG x570 Strix Gaming-E you will see that benefit. If you were going instead with a B4xx chipset motherboard you would not.

Yeah, I understand that but I just did some more research and it seems the Samsung is very close to the Corsair in all types of scenarios. One review even had it beat the Corsair in "game launch"

Aside from that, maybe it's holding a higher value due to size? The corsair is quite a bit bigger (heatsink) and might pose fitment issues.

Overall it seems that performance wise, either or is fine. Comes down the $$$ and I do like the small compact size of the Samsung.

Back