• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 950 Problem after OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emsiak

Hello, Im new to this forum and english is not my native language. I Have overclocked my i7 950 from 3,07 ghz to 4 ghz.

Asus p6x58e-p
i7 950
Corssair TX 650W
Gtx 670
HyperX Savage 1600 mhz 12 gb DDR3 (3x4gb)

My problem is : After OC I Having a blue screen after few moments in games "system exception thread no handle". Is it cuz of to low voltages in my bios? I also uptaded my nvidia drivers for some new "win 10 only uptade" driver. I also cleaned my registry files by ccleaner and after these things Im getting this blue screen. Atm im just after a format my windows.

Bios settings :
BCLK 201
PCIE 100
UCLK 3224
QPI LINK 7254
Extreme phase full power mode AUTO
Cpu voltage 1.25625
CPU pll voltage 1.88
QPI/Dram core voltage 1.28125
Dram Core voltage 1.64
Cpu amplitude 800mV

After OC I made a bechmark in 3dmark, everything was working, than I played arma 3 for 30 mins on ultra settngs, didn't notice any problems ( except my gpu temp. was 75C while before I had only like 60-65). Than I starred playing cs go nad i started to occur this blue screen. So any one would help me? What is the problem here and is it cuz of wrong oc?

Looking for respond

You likely are not stable. Did you stress test after you overclocked? 3d mark and a brief gaming session are nkt enough.

Ease post screenshots of cpuz. The first tab, memory and SPD tab with your memory stick displayed. Please host here at the site.

Looking at your settings though, that voltage seems low for 4ghz...

You likely are not stable. Did you stress test after you overclocked? 3d mark and a brief gaming session are nkt enough.

Ease post screenshots of cpuz. The first tab, memory and SPD tab with your memory stick displayed. Please host here at the site.

Looking at your settings though, that voltage seems low for 4ghz...

Bez tytułu1.png Bez tytułu2.png

Here are screens. So Can u suggest me voltages settings for this oc?

thanks for fast reply Bez tytułu.png

I suggest you raise it until it's stable. And by stable I mean stress test it. Try 1.3v.

So I should change only CPU voltage from 1.25625 to 1.3? and are you sure that blue screens are occured from oc fail? I formated my PC and few secs ago I had blue screen again, I was just using web browers. this time it was "kmode exception not handled"

Ok so im using atm OCCT software to stress my cpu at 1.3 voltage :
Medium test mode after 10 mins
Large test mode after 10 mins 1.png 2.png

Last edited:
"kmode exception not handled"

That can mean core overheating. Saw Windows 2000 report that, IIRC, on my old school AMD back in 2007, when my best was still a socket 462, (on Asus A7N8X-X) LOL. The duct tape detached and my Barton 3000+ AQZFA (@2.4 IIRC) temp. got too high, even when only running Gran Turismo 2, LOL.

I would check your heatsink and make sure no push-pins came out and then try again with a Vcore bump.

Linpack is a real good quick test for cores.

Prime95 is more suited for testing a combo of cores and bus.

Prime95 passing on Core 2 Quads, is tricky.

Hopefully not so much with a Bloomfield, even when Bloomfields are heat monsters like Kentsfields are. Overheating is likely.

You will be lucky to get 4.2 on a Bloomfield, but hopefully will do better than 920s.

Getting 4.3 would be real good. For 4.5 or 4.4, probably a fat chance without a major cold air intake setup.

Last edited:
The only way to tell if it was because of the overclock is to set it at default and see if it happens again...

Yes, 1.3v on the cpu only and see if it happens again.

That can mean core overheating. Saw Windows 2000 report that, IIRC, on my old school AMD back in 2007, when my best was still a socket 462, (on Asus A7N8X-X) LOL. The duct tape detached and my Barton 3000+ AQZFA (@2.4 IIRC) temp. got too high, even when only running Gran Turismo 2, LOL.

I would check your heatsink and make sure no push-pins came out and then try again with a Vcore bump.

Linpack is a real good quick test for cores.

Prime95 is more suited for testing a combo of cores and bus.

Prime95 passing on Core 2 Quads, is tricky.

Hopefully not so much with a Bloomfield, even when Bloomfields are heat monsters like Kentsfields are. Overheating is likely.

You will be lucky to get 4.2 on a Bloomfield, but hopefully will do better than 920s.

Getting 4.3 would be real good. For 4.5 or 4.4, probably a fat chance without a major cold air intake setup.
There is a lot of questionable information in this post... yikes.

1. His temps are fine. Look at his testing.
2. Never had trouble with passing prime with c2q... nor do I understand the relevance in this thread because he doesn't have one.
3. Not sure what you are going on about regarding lin pack vs prime. Links?
4. All this guy wants to do is get 4ghz stable... let's focus on that first is my take on things.

Last edited:
Ofc It would be awesome to have more than 4 ghz. After voltage change to 1.3v I didnt have any blue screens in 2 hours, seems to be good now. I wonder if it possible to get more than 4 ghz? or it is to risky now? My cpu cooler is grandis xe1236 with two fans.

So I should change only CPU voltage from 1.25625 to 1.3? and are you sure that blue screens are occured from oc fail? I formated my PC and few secs ago I had blue screen again, I was just using web browers. this time it was "kmode exception not handled"

Ok so im using atm OCCT software to stress my cpu at 1.3 voltage :
Medium test mode after 10 mins
Large test mode after 10 minsView attachment 168861View attachment 168862

Can Linpack pass?

Back