• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 950 vs 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For around $300.00 more than a 920? No it's not worth it, especially since the vast majority of 920s are hitting 4.0GHz and above.

Fo someone who really want to clock at 4.3-4.4 and more for 24/7 the 950 will help since it have a higher multi. But for TWICE the price and only a 200-300 MHZ higher overclock ... NO at my opinion the 950 dont worth it.

I buyed a Q9550 for the same reason VS the Q9650 ( 0.5 multi difference and 100+$ difference ) .

If you REALLY have tons of money to put in a computer and want "higher" OC ... YES. If not ... NO.

I traded my 920 up to a 950, but it was for benching purposes only. I still run it at 4GHz for daily use, but booted at 4.83GHz last night after I left the door open for some 10degC ambients. :) hehe. A little chill on the water and I might be able to get some benches out of it.

To answer your question, it's not really worth the money if you're using it for anything other than benching. The 920 just totally kicks *** for the price and will almost guaranteed run a nice 4.0GHz overclock without it or your board breaking a sweat.

Not worth it... IMO.
You can push a i7 920 up to 3.6 ghz without change any volt ( 1 ghz oc without worrying about voltages, , kicks *** ) wich is already a good oc.
200-400 mhz will not kill anybody but meaby you could need the extra money for something else of for purchasing something more useful for your system.

But you can use a higher QPI with teh 950 then the 920 at X cpu clock, no? Doesnt that make any difference in day to day 24/7 stuffs?

New socket noob here :)

Back