• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 or hd850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i found the prob. i was using the old version.
ok now that i got it to work i have a small issue.
when i was setting up the advanced settings i used
-smp 8 and cpu usage 60% instead of 60% all cores are maxed out.

The SMP client is a high performance client intended to return WUs as quickly as possible. Running it at 60% is like buying a Ferrare and never driving it above the speed limit. The quick return bonus is exponential so reducing cpu usage by 40% will reduce production by approximately 60%. THe cpu setting shouldn't work on the SMP client and, maybe, you've discovered it doesn't. Personally, I've never tried anything less than 100% and have yet to find a reason to do so.

now i understand. so if i want to reduce the power i give to fah
i'll have to decrease the -smp from 8 to any lower value right?
the reason i want to do this is because the pc that is folding right
now is my main pc and it's not dedicated to folding. i want to fold
and do other stuff at the same time like playing games or working
on photoshop, etc.

I run FAH on all mine at 100% cpu usage. FAH drops cpu usage almost immediately when preempted by a higher priority process and it runs at idle by default, which is the lowest priority possible. Anything you actively run on the machine will be at a higher proirity. Try it at -smp 8 for a while and change it if you have trouble.

well i reduced the smp to 4 but something's wrong here.
i explain:
@ 100% load and smp 8 it needed 21 minutes for 1%
@ 100% load and smp 4 it needs 13 minutes for 1%

both of them were on the same WU

PS:how many steps are 1 point?

Last edited:
Steps have no consistent relationship to points. They are whatever size chunks the researcher decides to divide the WU into. Frames on the other hand are 1% of the WU, but to have any meaning we'd need to know what WU. Obviously something wasn't right on the 21 minute frames.

Back