• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i865 vs i875

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CircuitBreaker8 said:
and the 865 doesnt have this?

AI7, IS7 and all other springdale (865) boards DO have PAT. it's called GAT (Game Acceleration Technology) and is equal to the 875-PAT.

you have NO lacking performance due to a springdale PAT/GAT

All the 865 will only enable the full PAT/GAT like features in 1:1 memory mode or a boot strap of 667 (ABIT). You get the partial GAT features with 5:4 or 3:2 vs the 875 chip set which has the ability to run full PAT at any memory ratio. YMMV though.

Real world you don't notice as at the very most its only 1-3% difference 875 vs 865 in non 1:1 memory dividers. I have only had a max of ~2% in my testing/max benching which is why to date I only have 865 boards :)

Well im gonna be running my memory in 1:1. I read a review about the AI7 having a street racer mode, i never fully understood what that was. Is it basicly GAT?

CircuitBreaker8, Well im gonna be running my memory in 1:1. I read a review about the AI7 having a street racer mode, i never fully understood what that was. Is it basicly GAT?

Yes it's the GAT wired to implement the 875 PAT ;) that INTEL thought they only did in the 875 chipset but mother board manufactures figured a way out how to do in the 865 chipset. (ie both 865 and 875 use the same silicon but PAT is disabled on the 865 but the hardware guys turned it on :D )

Sweet! Im gonna love this new rig! w00t! Digits told me this CPU that he is selling me ( 2.6C ) hits 3.4ghz on that zalman cooler. I plan to get a Thermalright SP94 so I can probably take it to 3.5 on air hopefully. He is also selling me this motherboard heh.

The performance difference between the i865 and i875 is small. Not enough to worry about. The AI7 is a good mobo. The nice thing about the AI7 is the higher vdimm options, so you can run higher DDR speeds and tighter RAM timings. Don't get your hopes up about overclocking that 2.6C much higher than it already has been done. At 3.4 gig, that's already much better than average for that CPU. My guess is that it's already pretty much maxed out.

batboy said:
The performance difference between the i865 and i875 is small. Not enough to worry about. The AI7 is a good mobo. The nice thing about the AI7 is the higher vdimm options, so you can run higher DDR speeds and tighter RAM timings. Don't get your hopes up about overclocking that 2.6C much higher than it already has been done. At 3.4 gig, that's already much better than average for that CPU. My guess is that it's already pretty much maxed out.

Ya I figured, but 3.4 is still a nice OC :beer:

The 875 is the clear performance king here but the edge it has over the 865 is only 1-4 %, which is not very great.

Before running the tests we anticipated only a small performance improvement due to the dual channel configuration. However, the results showed that there was a major performance gain with this setup. The 875 showed a 5% and 8% improvement in 3DMark2001 SE and Quake III Arena respectively over itself when running in the single channel configuration. The improvement in CCW though was not very much, possibly because it is very tough to improve such high scores. The benefit of dual architecture is clearly visible by the SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth test, which shows 60 % more memory bandwidth with the dual channel than with single channel. 865 also showed improvements in performance with the dual channel, though the difference is lower than of 875. Compared to 850, both boards won hands down. The 875 gave nearly 10-12 % improvement in graphics while the 865 was 7-8% higher. Again we didn’t see much of a difference in the CCW benchmark.

I did look again and nowhere did the 865 beat the 875....nowhere! The lead may have been marginal, but the 875 beat the 865 in every test.

Back