• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i9-10850K or i7-10700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTRF

Registered
Hi, I'm going for a new build.
Its for video editing and encoding. I was interested in one these two CPUs i9-10850K or i7-10700K.

I dont need to have a super fast system and if there isn't a lot of encoding speed difference, the cheaper i7-10700K might be fine for my needs.

I don't want a power hungry CPU nor anything that will run too hot :) (not asking much :) )

Any thoughts please and thanks.

Hi, I'm going for a new build.
Its for video editing and encoding. I was interested in one these two CPUs i9-10850K or i7-10700K.

I dont need to have a super fast system and if there isn't a lot of encoding speed difference, the cheaper i7-10700K might be fine for my needs.

I don't want a power hungry CPU nor anything that will run too hot :) (not asking much :) )

Any thoughts please and thanks.

If you don’t want a power hungry system and you want a powerful system that will do you task well I would be looking or at least thinking of one of the new Ryzen processors coming out November 5th.

If you don’t want a power hungry system and you want a powerful system that will do you task well I would be looking or at least thinking of one of the new Ryzen processors coming out November 5th.

Thanks bigtallanddopey, i never had an AMD system before and for no reason at all, i think I would like to stick to intel......I know :)

Intel gives me Quick Sync, thats what i like about it for video encoding.

Just out of curiosity, what Ryzen CPU and motherboard would you recommend, as manny Sata sockets as possible :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
The new AMD which will be released in November are supposed to be 15-20% better still

Thanks Johan45, well, im in no imediate rush, its not long till then, Which of the new CPUs would you suggest ? :)

Here's a comparison from our my review of the 10900K

As you can see the 3900X which will be replaced by the 5900X soon is already better at multi-core workloads and power consumption with all CPUs at stock operation. Zen3 (5900X) which is upcoming is supposed to be even better.

CB20.jpg
Power-MCE-4.9-1.jpg

Thanks, well, by the sound of things the 5900X is the better choise but what about QS for encoding, perhaps it wont matter with the speed of this 5900X

Well, what about a MB for it (8 Satas or more remember) ;) ? Thanks.

I would say look seriously at the Ryzen chip.

I just built an AMD Threadripper system (after years only doing Intel) and I am very satisfied with it.

No issues with Windows...just installed and it worked.

I would say look seriously at the Ryzen chip.

I just built an AMD Threadripper system (after years only doing Intel) and I am very satisfied with it.

No issues with Windows...just installed and it worked.

Thanks JrClocker, yes, it has got me thinking, esp when its not power hungry and doesn't run as hot..the new 5800X at a push would be within my price range.
I'm far from being an expert but I built my last 2 video edit PCs and they have been very stable, is building an AMD PC different to build in any way compared to Intel ?

Thank you.

The biggest difference for me was the Threadripper CPU...it's HUGE! The 5800X looks like a "regular" CPU, so you won't notice much difference.

Everything on the AMD chipset motherboard was the same as an Intel chipset motherboard.

I would suggest the new AMD Ryzen chip as it's PCIe 4.0. If you are doing video editing, you will appreciate the gain from a PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD...it's VERY fast.

The biggest difference for me was the Threadripper CPU...it's HUGE! The 5800X looks like a "regular" CPU, so you won't notice much difference.

Everything on the AMD chipset motherboard was the same as an Intel chipset motherboard.

I would suggest the new AMD Ryzen chip as it's PCIe 4.0. If you are doing video editing, you will appreciate the gain from a PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD...it's VERY fast.

Thank you for the advice anf info. I can hold off till the new CPUs are released and go from there.

Thank you.

Back