• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IBM Lenovo R61 $473 c2d 1.6 GHz, 512mb, 60GB, DVD, WiFi, Vista Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
Lenovo R61 laptop computer for a base price of $800.
  1. Select the following options
    1. Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5470 (1.6GHz 800MHz 2MBL2) [subtract $225.00]
    2. Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic [subtract $49.00]
  2. You will see your order qualifies for a 10% discount offer in the top right corner of the cart. Click Apply discount
  3. Your final price should be $473
Specs:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5470 (1.6GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
  • 14.1 WXGA TFT, w/o Camera
  • Intel GMA X3100 GM965 w/ 1394
  • 512 MB PC2-5300 SDRAM DDR2 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
  • UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
  • 60GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
  • DVD-ROM 8x Max, Ultrabay Enhanced
  • ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe US/EMEA/LA/ANZ
  • 4 cell Li-Ion Battery
  • 1 Year Depot Warranty - Express

You can also do some upgrades..i got bluetooth, 80gb HD, cd-rw, 6 cell..i bought alot of these units @ $570 shipped (each)

theres also CHEAP lappy ram @ outpost, curcial 1gb for $25 after $20 MIR

im considering ditching my m1330 for one of these..practically 1/3 of the cost..for a good laptop

That sure beats a bunch of the Sunday paper "under $500" deals that you see just about every week. Nice find.

ordered- but got cancelled cause of "Website error" WTF?????

Anyway, it's too good to be true!

I knew it was too good to be true. I am glad I didn't order.

It was ~350 less than my (real) EPP discount from Lenovo

something interesting from SD:

"
Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. Obviously, this is not in any way acceptable behavior towards customers, much less a customer who has been as loyal as you.

I will contact the manager of our group that handles critical customer care situations this morning to ensure you get proper and prompt remediation. In the meantime, don't hesitate to call me on my personal cell at 202-xxx-xxxx if there is any other information you think would be relevant.

XXX XXXX
Vice President and General Counsel, Americas
Lenovo
Washington, DC
"

All I said, the way they are dealing with customers is WRONG in America. I will be glad to return the laptop after they admiting their fault, just to show you guys that this is not a personal vendetta. I am not out hurting any individuals from Lenovo.

Here is my original E-mail to this VP:

"
Mr. XXX,

My understanding is that you are one of the higher level managers of Lenovo handling governmental issues. I am an angry customer of Lenovo and am about to file complaint to Federal Trade Commission as well as teaming up other angry customers to form an alliance to put some media exposures on Lenovo’s recent bad practice on selling their ThinkPad notebook computers. If you are interested in resolving this problem please contact me or forward this email to your peers in the customer relation department.

The basic story of my complaint is that one of my online orders with Lenovo.com was unfairly cancelled based on the premise that an online error caused the wrong configuration of the CPU unit. The problems with this explanation, however, are:

1- I’ve never received any email notification for cancellation till date (a week after I placed the order)

2- Several of my friends who ordered the very same item are receiving UPS tracking information as well as the serial numbers of the same laptops they are ordering. This shows the “incorrect CPU” excuse is completely false.

3- I called Lenovo support no less than half dozen times since my order went “invalid”. Not only they are giving me inconsistent answers, they are also showing little concern of customer sentiment. After hours waiting on the phone and fruitless discussion with the call reps I am to a point of extreme dissatisfaction.

4- A promise of supervisor call back within 24 business hours were never materialized. I waited for 4 days for this promised call.

As a stock holder of Lenovo and a loyal customer of the ThinkPad notebooks, I am stunned by apparent lacking of care and understanding from the Lenovo support. This experience is causing me thinking again whether Lenovo should do well in north American market, a deeply consumer oriented marketplace. Again, please contact me or forward my email to your peers in customer relations department. I am hoping Lenovo will do the right thing.

"[/QUOTE]

If I bought something in the Classifieds for $20, and a few days later the seller PMed me and said: "Sorry, I made a mistake and I actually want $40 now instead of $20," I wouldn't be happy. If you buy something, that should be the end of the deal. The seller shouldn't be able to back out just because they made a mistake.

Dude its a company and mistakes are made on websites. If you were listing something on ebay that was $1000 and made a typo and sold it for $100. Would you not have retracted the sale even if it meant getting negative feedback?

I work at IBM and i don't even get these deals in my EPP account through lenovo. You expect them to sell to the public for over $300 less on a BASE MODEL?!?!

Xenocide said:
Dude its a company and mistakes are made on websites. If you were listing something on ebay that was $1000 and made a typo and sold it for $100. Would you not have retracted the sale even if it meant getting negative feedback?

I don't think I would have made that mistake since it doesn't take much time to check your sale price several times to make sure that doesn't happen.

I work at IBM and i don't even get these deals in my EPP account through lenovo. You expect them to sell to the public for over $300 less on a BASE MODEL?!?!

I expect them to follow through with deals that they've already made with customers. I agree that mistakes do happen, but that isn't an excuse.

Chill out Xenocide, I am not asking you to pay for the difference.

Company hired "pricing guy", "pricing guy" made mistake, company honor the false advertising and company fired "pricing guy"....

Anyway, doesn't matter if they not gonna honor the price cause they just lose a bunch of customers in the future. Don't you think in their accounting journal, there is nothing such as "other spending" to keep future customers? They probably spend more money advertising then trying to keep their customer.

Anyway, cheers.

The issue is not that they messed up but how they mishandled the damage control. I would be just as mad as d94 if they did that crap to me. Messing up price? Whatever. Jerking me around. That is something else.

I'm sure somewhere in their terms of sale there's the "we can retract sale and refund money anytime we want" clause. Not likely to get much help legally on this one, but it's good for the consumer to know about these false advertising practices (so be sure to contact the Better Business Bureau in the county they operate out of - the BBB keeps track of such things).

Don't put too much stock in the BBB, they are a Not for profit (non governmental) business and have been suspect of not reporting some issues due to conflicts of interest. Sorry I have no links, just google the cases. I don't mean to jump in as a neigh sayer, I just get wary of putting any stock the BBB. Places like Consumer Reports have better business models without conflicts of interest. Back to topic though, I wish that deal had been real, my father dropped his lappie and needs a new one. Thanks for the heads up anyways, good luck getting satisfaction D94.
-B

Last edited:
Back