• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 vs. IC7-G - besides Gbit ethernet & IDE to SATA adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thc_ltd

Registered
I received an IC7 from someone, but I really wanted an IC7-G. When the person found out, they got my a Gbit ethernet card and a IDE to SATA adapter since I said those were 2 difference I really wanted. Can someone tell me, besides the 2 things I mentioned, are the 2 boards exactly alike? Im talking even the smallest difference.

The primary difference that I would find objectionable is the method of connecting the gigabit card. The onboard solution on the IC7-G is connected directly to the southbridge and does not share PCI bus bandwidth limitations. The PCI card will be limited to a shared 133MB/s with the other PCI cards on the board. I have an IC7 and they're not bad boards, but if you paid for an IC7-G then that's what you should be recieving.

On another note, please post similar threads to the Intel motherboards section, as it should be located there. Thanks.

Last edited:
I didnt pay for anything, I said someone gave it to me. As far as the pci bandwidth, I dont really care about that. Im not gonna be using the Gbit part of the lan anyway. Im not sure if your saying that by using a PCI slot the card itself could transfer no faster than 133 Mbps, but thats not the case. I inquired about the same thing myself. I mean think about it, why would someone pay $50 for a Gbit ethernet card that only does 133 Mbps?

That's the normal confusion. The Gbit card is in bits not bytes, a factor of 8 difference. The PCI bus transfer rate maximum is in bytes and applies only to 32bit/33MHz PCI slots. Most of the boards that I use range between 64bit/66Mhz(532MB/s maximum) and 64bit/133Mhz PCI-X(1064MB/s maximum) and have multiple peer PCI buses, which is why I tend to jealously protect PCI bandwidth on non workstation and server boards. Most Gbit NICs are also not intended solely for 32/33 PCI use and are usually either higher speed or width compatible. If you add a disk controller or other high bandwidth device, you may very well care about bandwidth issues on the single PCI bus.

Back