• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ics on 2000pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geofrancis

im running three computers at home all with xp pro im useing a p2 233 ibm as a web/file/print server but its sooooo slowwwww the reason that ive put xp on it is because i dont know how to bridge connections with 2000 pro and use ics to share the internet to both computers it says i can only share the internet connection with 1 network card and i cant access my sisters computer with 2000
is there any way of doing this with 2000pro or will i hav to stick with xp?
network.JPG

networkscreen.JPG

that is with xp running

Last edited:
It turns out that Win2k doesn't have the bridge connection feature that XP does. And it may well be that XP bridging only works for 2 NICs, not 3. :-/

In your setup I'd recommend getting either a router or at least a switch to sit behind the server. Either one would take some load off your server. If you already have a router then definetely get a small switch and use that to connect everything.

If you're using the server as an internet gateway/router then you might look at Smoothwall instead. It's a specialized Linux distro that turns old computers into routers with more features then anything you're likely to come across. It's wizard driven and takes about 10 minutes to install (no joke). You'd have to move the other services off the box though, but if the server is only 233mhz...

Back