• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE and PCI bus speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I am not sure if this is where this belongs, so if it is wrong will a mod please move it to the proper place? I have an Asus CUSL2 mobo, that I had just recently got. I have a PIII EB Coppermine 866 running at 981 (roughly 151 x 6.5). I really want to get this chip up to 1.0 atleast, but the PCI and IDE bus will go up to 38. Are there any chances of Hard Drive corruption by doing this. The next step it shows in BIOS 152/???/38. I could make a backup of my OS but I am afraid that if I corrupt one HDD I may corrupt the other as well.

It may corrupt, but there are too many variations to predict accurately. Make the backup, unplug the disk and give it a shot. If it fouls, 1G chips are cheap these days and may give you a bit more mileage on the platform,

This is mostly a folding rig, and I just kind of want to play around with it to see what it can really do. I haven't really played around with the older systems too much lately, and figured it would be quite fun. The last Intel system I have ran was an old Celery 700@950. Is there any way I can back up maybe over a network? What kind of software would I need to do it if it can be done? Although the person who had the board before me ran it at a 160fsb which I think had the PCI/IDE at about 39. Any more thoughts??

Depending on OS and filesystem, various versions of Norton Ghost, Power QuestDrive Image, Acronis True Image and other imaging utilities will work. The southbridge controller's ability to run out of spec is one of the most crucial to running out of spec bus speeds, but the only way to find out is to test and see where it fails.

OS is W2K Pro, and the filesystem is NTFS. I have Acronis True Image 8, but can't find any options for backing up a drive over a network. I don't have any important data on either of the drives in that system, so I think I am going to just give it a shot. I will make sure to post my results.

Update

Well I finally set my FSB to 152, while the PCI/IDE bus speed is at 39, and so far it is running flawlessly. I haven't had any problems with any of the files getting corrupted. I guess the person I had recieved this board from was right when he said this board OC's like it owns Intel.

Back