• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideal 5820k temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koix

Registered
So I built my first computer and I don't think everything is, as it's supposed to be.

My built:
MB: MSI X99S sil plus
CPU: Intel i7-5820k
CPU-C: Hyper 612 Ver2
RAM: 16GB ram (4x4) ddr4, default settings
PSU: 1000W EVGA PSU
OS Drive: 256 SSD Samsung 850 EVO
Storage: 1TB WD
Case: HAF 932 - With front fan blowing air in, back fan taking hot air out, side fan taking air in, top fan is deactivated.

So I had a few issues installing the heatsink and I had to check if the paste was properly wided out (first time I've putted to much), so I had to lift it and saw it was ok (I know it may cause small holes of hot air to stay in the cpu).

Correctly I haven't got myself to install Windows yet since I don't have a optical bay and making a bootable usb from a mac, is harder than you think.

Right now I've been letting it run in BIOS and it seems to be swing from 35-36 for a half hour'ish and then going up to 37C where it will drop between 36-37 due to the CPU fan gets faster after 37.5C. The motherboard has a stable temperature at 27C.

What kind of temperature should I be expecting from a built like this in idle, normal use and stress (gaming etc)? I'm going to install windows after dinner and monitor further.

Did I really cause too much trouble during the installing of the cpu cooler - or did I harden the screw too much?

What are you using for a heatsink? For best overclocking, Intel engineers suggest keeping your peak loads down to 80c or less. The hottest you can run as a test is Linpack with AVX2. I use LinX 0.6.5 for that. For idle -- who cares? you can't tell a thing from your idle temps.

I would...

Activate the top fan.

The BIOS actually has a slight load on it so your BIOS temps will not typically reflect windows idle temperatures. That said, idle temps are not relevant as edhume mentioned above.

Anyway, I would expect temps to be somewhere around there with that hyper 612 v2 without a top exhaust fan.

Back