• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ideas on a new build:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Long overdue to upgrade.

Yes I will overclock.

Reusing a few previous parts from my current machine:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU: Corsair AX1200. Still kicking and still a crapload of power.
GPU: R9 295X2 (won't work in my current mobo due to NF200 chip fail, literally brand new in box waiting for a new machine)

I don't need any peripherals, OS, or storage. Basically I only need: Mobo, RAM and CPU, and possibly a CPU cooler as I believe Hyper 212 EVOs aren't enough for the new-hot running i7 4790k, especially if one wants to overclock? Saving up $700-$800 for these 3 parts, hope to have enough by mid august. Of course, less is better but I am not skimping on quality, as I want the most expandability as possible.

I want to go all out, Dominator Platinums, best mobo I can find... just like I did my current machine. I do screw around with virtual machines quite a lot, and I do run multiple games at once, so I want 16GB of RAM.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Domin...23&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+Dominator+Platinum

I really thought the best RAM around (or is there better RAM?) would be more expensive than that. Leaves ~$560 for the 2-3 other components. Is 2400mhz actually neccesary now? I have conflicting information regarding this, the old rule used to be 1600mhz was enough and any higher got you incremental (1-2%) performance increases.

No Asrock.
No AMD mobos.

Can you help me? I mostly need help finding a mobo, as the current high end ROG ASUS selection isn't up to par, with the Formula VII having an ugly shroud and the Maximus VI Extreme not supporting the newest processors.

Last edited:
2400 and up ram, really only if you're benching.
first on the list is to find a top shelf 4790K, they vary so much, you might have to buy a few to find a good one.
sorry your down on asrock boards, my extreme 9 boards are great and that is all I have run intel on.

2400 and up ram, really only if you're benching.
first on the list is to find a top shelf 4790K, they vary so much, you might have to buy a few to find a good one.

I don't care if it can't get that high. It will only be on air cooling anyway lol.

So 1600 is enough for gaming or should I go up to 1866?

just depends on price.
a bit back i ran all my games with ram from 800 to 2400 and i found 4-5 fps from bottom to top, 1 or two got a very little from tighter timings but nothing to cause the spending of money.
two walls with 4790K, heat wall, they vary a lot, clock wall some will make 4.3 and that's it.
you might get one that will do 4.8 and never get to 90c, you might get one that will only clock to 4.3 and that's all you'll ever get out of it.

1600-2133 is all the same cost nowadays. Shop for deals. 212 evo is way better than stock intel cooler as well.

4790 and 212 evo are fine.. its an 88W chip. It will take you to 4.2-4.5Ghz depending on how good the CPU is. Id snag some 2133 MHz CL9 ram... and for motherboard, Asrock Z97 Extreme 6.

Im curious what the NF200 chip had to do with your 295x2 (LOL - you with an AMD card.. I still cant handle it!!! :rofl:). Although its CFx, it has its own PLX chip on it so it wouldn't need to use the NF200 chip for lane routing...

first on the list is to find a top shelf 4790K,
Unless you get the worst one ever, you should be sniffing 4.5Ghz. THere is no reason for an average user to go looking for a cherry chip. Benchmarking.. surely.

Back