• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idle musings..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

So, I had some watercooling issues a month or so back - Long story short, realized I had a slow leak in my CPU block that, while the computer was running, must have been evaporating off almost instantly so I never noticed it, except that my water levels kept lowering slowly over the course of several months. Shut the computer down for once a few months ago, wouldn't boot back up correctly.

Pulled the water cooling out finally, and saved up to get some more fans and a Prolimatech Megahelms air cooler - Decided I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to water, and to go back to what I can handle. Slapped 2 Noiseblocker 400-1500 RPM fans on the cooler in pull/pull... The way the fans are made, I wanted to put them in push/pull, but the fan mounts for the cooler press against the blades of the fan in push mode, so had to mount them pull/pull instead. Running 3 of the same fans in the top, one at the exhaust, and another 3 in the front of the case. The tops are pulling, the three in the front is pushing - It all seems to work pretty well, keeps my FX down at a good 50C under load, which I don't consider to be too bad. IT's not overclocked, yet.

Now, the musings part.. Been thinking about upgrading to one of the Visheras, the 9590.. EVerything I can find though seems to reconmend watercooling with it, so if I went that route I'd probably get an AiO so I don't screw it up like I did last time.

Only reason I'd consider upgrading, is Fallout 4's recommended processor AMD-wise is a 9590. Hm.

Alternatively, I could keep the 8350, slap one of the better AiO's on it and overclock it up to 4.7.. Or even 5.0 (IIRC, 5.0's been a relatively easy, stable OC to hit on the 8350 under water) and get, basically, the same thing.

Thoughts?

8350 @ 4.7-4.8 = 9590 @ stock = Same amount of heat

8350 @ stock @ 50c < Heat produced by above

Think ahead and be prepared. If you go AIO it has to be a top shelf unit.

Last edited:
will fallout4 use more than 4 cores?
if not just kill two modules on the 8350 and give it all the core speed you can get out of it, the 9xxx processor is just a well binned 8350 so just keep what you have one way or the other.
ditto Mr. Scott.

Back