• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE7 WARNING!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

completeclicks

Registered
Well I'm about to have to format and reinstall XP Pro unless one of you guys has an idea that might work.

This morning I was surfing with IE7. I love the new tabbed interface (about time Microsoft stole this from the other browsers). I opened a new tab in my browser and went to click the star to open a site saved in my favorites. I ACCIDENTALLY clicked the +star (to save a new favorite) and it immediately locked up my IE window. I've never seen a window locked up this severely in XP.

I opened the Task Manager and tried to kill the iexplorer.exe process and it still wouldn't close the IE window. Finally I rebooted. Came back in to Windows, opened a new IE window, clicked on the correct Fav's star and it locked up again.

Now any time I click on favorites it locks the window and OS and I have to reboot. I also found that if I press the Windows+E shortcut to open a Windows Explorer window it locks up resulting in another reboot.

I have done a system restore to yesterday, no luck.

I called Microsoft to let them know I found a critical bug that I didn't think they knew about, and the Indian ******* that answered the phone said he'd charge me $59.99 to let me talk to tech support.

I finally got thru to tech support and they said it was an issue with Windows explorer, not IE.

TRUST ME guys, DO NOT click the +star with a blank tab open on IE7, you'll regret it.

completeclicks said:
TRUST ME guys, DO NOT click the +star with a blank tab open on IE7, you'll regret it.
Umm I just did and it works fine, no lock up :eh?: This is in XP Pro SP2 on me lappy.

nikhsub1 said:
Umm I just did and it works fine, no lock up :eh?: This is in XP Pro SP2 on me lappy.

wierd...

I have XP Pro SP2, currently updated. I clicked on the +star and realized I screwed up and clicked the reg star, and It locked up tight, and now I can't access my fav's without locking up.

i did restore, no luck

its not an IE issue, according to Microsoft. It's a Windows Explorer issue.

Can't you just copy your favorite(s) shortcuts from the documents & settings folder to some place else?

Then put them back one by one or use the shortcut date in the detail view and delete the latest and probably rotten shortcut?

I have stayed away from IE 7 so maybe I am making a fool of myself. Did the favorites folder structure change?

Is your XP Install a few years old? Did you do an in-place upgrade to SP2 after the OS had been installed for a while? I'd chalk it up to something like that, and format/re-install if it was my rig :)

IE7 is running fine over here. One thing that annoys me - after installing IE7, clearing the "Recently Accessed Programs" in the Classic Start Menu takes like 10x longer than it did before (takes like 20 seconds). It does this on every PC I have tried with IE7. No biggie, but I wonder what the deal is?

:cool:

The funny thing is that the latest Animated Cursor vunerability affected IE6, IE7 and Firefox. BUT if you were running IE7 on Vista in Protected Mode, you were 100% safe...

Just pointing it out. IE7 is headed in the right direction IMO...

Randyman... said:
The funny thing is that the latest Animated Cursor vunerability affected IE6, IE7 and Firefox. BUT if you were running IE7 on Vista in Protected Mode, you were 100% safe...

Just pointing it out. IE7 is headed in the right direction IMO...

I'm not going there...

Anyway, OP, try removing IE7 and reinstalling through the windows update site (update.microsoft.com). This will ensure that you get a "clean" copy, you may have a corrupted one. Other option, try FireFox, I'm sure you'll love it! Been using it since v.9 and will until they discontinue it.

There is also a possibility that spyware/malware/others could have damaged the program. Make sure to do weekly scans for spyware. I'd do a full system scan and reinstallation of IE7 and see if that fixes it. And a reformat wouldn't kill you! :bday:

EDIT: Might want to check your caps button for the title next time! Lol :bday:

Randyman... said:
I didn't bring up Fire Fox BTW (that was overclucker), just stating a fact ;)

Randyman... said:
The funny thing is that the latest Animated Cursor vunerability affected IE6, IE7 and Firefox.

I'm sorry, but you did. You included it in your post, but I'm not arguing about anything.

EDIT: OP, I really hope you didn't pay the $60...

Last edited:
I replied to overclucker - he initially brought it up with the "FF FTW" and I just pointed out facts about the latest vunerability ;)

$60 for what? IE7? :confused:

Randyman... said:
I replied to overclucker - he initially brought it up with the "FF FTW" and I just pointed out facts about the latest vunerability ;)

$60 for what? IE7? :confused:

No, he said in his first post:

completeclicks said:
said he'd charge me $59.99 to let me talk to tech support
Just really hoping he didn't pay that >.<

Lol, I would pay someone to be able to fully remove it from my computer, but sadly, Windows needs atleast part of it and it is impossible to remove...*sigh*

This sounds like an issue not with the shell or IE7. Well it is, but not due to them exactly.

I think something was instlaled that borked the shell and also maybe pulled IE7 with it.

Tossing Firefoox at it is not going to fix the issue. Since.. well it may not be just a browser problem. The Winkey+E gives that away. That fires off the shell explorer.

Since it is both. I assume you installed something and or removed something that trashed your install. It could be spyware or an app you tasted and removed. Even a setting you made at any time or a tweak. Even if you had control over the inital issue or not.
My guess would be a hook is not right or poorly crafted virus/spyware.

I would try a repiar install and re-update the machine. If this fails or you don't have time to fiddle. Reinstall the OS.

Back