• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If a machine has 8.1 home, and I have Win 8 Pro Full disc/key, is there a way to

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/

neat

- - - Updated - - -

we actually bought an oem pc for one of our workers here it had wind 7 and win8 on it well windows 8 will never be used so i logged in on windows 7 and used a utility and it pulled the key from the bios which i used to isntall win 8.1 on a pc at home. please note that win 8 is not longer accessible said work pc. i cant remember the name of the software, but im pretty sure you can delete they key from the bios as well.

I assume this ?

Not if it won't let you upgrade and that seems to be the issue the OP was having.

No, his issue has been changing the key on an existing Windows installation. He isn't upgrading, as that would imply going from 8 to 8.1, not going from 8.1 to 8.

No, his issue has been changing the key on an existing Windows installation. He isn't upgrading, as that would imply going from 8 to 8.1, not going from 8.1 to 8.

Yeah, I see now after re-reading the initial post.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'm not sure after re-reading the first few posts in the thread exactly what Hobo66's problem is. Yeah, he doesn't have the license key but is he also saying that Windows 8.1 is not activated and he can't activate it without that key? Or is he worried about not having the key for a possible future reinstall?

Yeah, I see now after re-reading the initial post.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I'm not sure after re-reading the first few posts in the thread exactly what Hobo66's problem is. Yeah, he doesn't have the license key but is he also saying that Windows 8.1 is not activated and he can't activate it without that key? Or is he worried about not having the key for a possible future reinstall?

Im reading it as he has an 8.0 PRO cd key, but they installed 8.1 home edition. You can't mix and match those product keys for obvious reasons.

Back