• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If I was to build backup rig with Athlon 64 X2...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M33Cat

I like to have a rig around to use for when something breaks on my main rig, as happened before. Just checked prices on Athlon 64 X2 and they start very low on ebay. But I know nothing of that generation.

I have 4x1GB ddr2 533. So whats a decent socket 939 motherboard, would need to have PCIe x16 and SATA.

That's the basics I would need to think of right? And both ATI and nvidia had compatible cards for those MBs right?

just look ebay/the classifieds like Earthdog said, it is worth putting together a cheap as chips machine from eras like that they are fun to clock, up until recently i had a pair of socket A machines just for fun but those boards die after time, stupid capacitors :( but 939 should be alot of fun as they support pci-e.

That DDR2 won't work in a 939 system, you need DDR1. That said you can look at AM2 as their prices may be similar to 939.

M33CAT, I think you need to be looking for a socket AM2/AM2+ board. They are still available.

Back