• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you had $1700 to spend - what would you get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samwY

Registered
If you had approximately $1700 on parts for a computer gaming rig, what would you buy? I do not need a monitor, and I do not need a case. Strictly parts.

Last year I knew how to spend the $1700, but now with the new i915 im not sure whats the best CPU and MOBO combo for a gaming overclock'ed rig.

Thanks

If you will be using your rig mainly for gaming I would suggest you to consider buying an Athlon64. It has been proved that it is faster than Intel in gaming applications and $1700 is way more than what u need to buy an Athlon FX-53 and a top of the line s939 mobo. :drool: With the rest of the money you could get a phase-change cooling system and go for an insane overclocking.

I have to agree that an Athlon 64 FX may be the way to go. If you're going to go for the outrageously expensive chips (ie FX or P4 Extreme Editions), that's definitely the way to go. I personally don't know if I'd spend that much on an FX/EE though. You *have* 1700$, but that doesn't mean you need to spend it all.

That's not to say that I don't think you could go excessive :D I just think it makes more sense to pick up a considerably less expensive processor (ie a 3.2C Northwood instead of a 3.2EE) and then spend the price difference on phase cooling or something similar.

You'll get more performance that way, and more importantly, that cooling setup is probably still going to be useful when you put all of this **** in the closet.

Asus p4c800e $100
P4 3.4e $320
1Mb ddr500 $250
Swiftech peltier waterblock $120
Peltier power supply (15v) $100
x800 xt $500
Total $1390

Hey, I can dream can't I?

LabRat23 said:
Asus p4c800e $100
P4 3.4e $320
1Mb ddr500 $250
Swiftech peltier waterblock $120
Peltier power supply (15v) $100
x800 xt $500
Total $1390

Hey, I can dream can't I?

you forgot the rest of the watercooling sys, a power supply, harddrives, and cdroms didn't you? would end up being over 1700 afterwards

Back