• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you had to recommend an MP3 player that wasn't an Ipod?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roofles

I just recently lost my Ipod Video so I'm in the market for a new MP3 player. My sweet spot is ~$150 and I'd prefer something that was flash based at either 4gb or 8gb. I use iTunes so I'd like something that if not an Ipod would be easy to integrate with my current music setup.

Right now I'm looking at one of the 2nd Gen 8gb Nano's refurbed for $150. But since I'm purchasing my mp3 player I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an alternate player that was equally good.

In short:
Budget $200 max. (does not need to be brand new)
Prefer Flash based - 4gb minimum, 8GB prefered
Ease of importing songs. I currently use iTunes. Open to new software.

What my favorite was the Rio Carbon, until I dropped it. They are discontinued. As a matter of fact, Rio is out of business.
I have 2 atm. The Sandisk Sansa 260 and the Samsung T10. I use the Sandisk for work and the T10 for around the house. The T10 has really good sound and is "tweakable" for your taste with a bass boost, 3d effects, and a 5 band equalizer.http://www.samsung.com/my/products/audio/mp3player/yp_t10ab.asp http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1940)-SDMX4-4096-A70-Sansa_e260_MP3_Player_4GB.aspx
Me, I like the tweakable ones.
I use a pocket amp also with both of them.

Last edited:
What are the file management methods for the players? How easy are they to set up playlists and the like? Does the software needed suck?

Also which do you prefer? the Sansa or the T10?

And thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited:
I love my Creative Zen Vision 30 GB. Big bright screen and plays just about any format. (WOOT! just had refurbs for $99). It also has a built in FM radio and audio RECORDER and can act as a USB storage device as well.

Not to big an Ipod fan but, I'll vouch for the newer nanos.... so far it hasn't let me down and performs flawlessly.

IMO the Creatize Zen Vision:M is the way to go. The display is sharp, the interface is easy to use. It supports a ton of video and audio formats. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and would re-buy one in a heartbeat if something happened to mine. Plus the prices are outstanding when compared to other brands will similar features.

What's the general sentiment on the new Zunes? I just picked up a new Nano at walmart, but saw the zunes in the case. The smaller one is really snazzy looking. Are they hackable at all?

just got the 80gb zune...love it!

had an iriver 20gb for about 3 years...loved it as well.

both have built in FM, good battery life and easy to tweak

good luck

Agreeing with Hafa about the Sandisk players. Using an E250 at the moment and loving it. Additionally, not having to deal with another ipod after my first mini died an early death and its replacement's battery died two months later is nice.

If you don't like the stock firmware the e200-series Sansa players can use Rockbox as well for nearly-universal format playback, a bunch of games and addons, etc.

Also, I'm a huge fan of drag-and-drop when adding songs rather than using 3rd-party utilities.

I have the Zune 80 GB. I love it. The touch pad is nice, the interface is easy, the new software is pretty good. It also has a FM tuner if you listen to radio. The reg hack for windows lets you use it as a HD which is nice too. Songs are stored in folders with no renaming or reformatting, etc. You can also get over the wireless sharing restriction by setting the genre to podcast. If you don't mind a bit bulkier device, the zune 30's have the big screen and the software can be upgraded to the same as the zune 80.

I have all of my music set up in media player with album covers, etc. The zune imported everything flawlessly.

The zune does not play drm protected music. I'm fine with this because I just rip my own cds but if you have apple itunes mp3s they will not play.

I have a few players. The ones I have I have n opinion. Alphabetical order....
Cowon:
I have a few of this brand. They are buggy, but make up for it in LOUD and features kick *** sound. Rock box, do you really need it unless (th firmware) is so buggy it hurts.They give just about all you will need stock, though (US) support does suck Dr.Cox. Good deal for what you get. Worked in Every OS I plugged my players into. -U3-D2 (keep in mind there is an avid and experienced user base. The disc comes with some nice stuff. The online forum is great.)

Creative:
Nano Zen Plus - Simple, plus and play on any OS. Videos- no way and sound quality is not all that. Loud it is not, but makes low end phones work. If you find one for $30 it is an ok deal for only audio. The Stone is the no LCD version of this.

Zen Vision:M - This thing made me mad. The video is not all that great and eats up space REALLY FAST. Since Creative does not use compression. The output is not al lthat great for larger headphones. For earbuds of lower quality, it will do the job. Unless you expect video. If you want cheaper, look to the Zen V.
The Software to add vids sucks and does not work in other than Windows AFAIK.

Meizu:
It is a quirky player that works and is hard to put in few words. It is not the sae mand the firware makes it always new. Very active player. Sounds great, but not all that loud. Powers most common earbuds very nice. the GUI is odd, but clean.

The one Sandisk I had was. low end. I only used it for a short time. I got my monies worth. It gave what I paid for it. If you pay, $100 expect that out of it. If you find the base price, you can find some really nice deals.If shows how and what it does from the price.

I like the zune too! I have a 30 gb and its wonderful. And for 85 bucks on woot its the best bang for the buck ever.

I have the Creative 30Gig Zen Vision M. I've been extremely happy with it. I had it for a little over a year and would buy another in a heartbeat.

depends on what your needs are specifically. cowon, creative and iriver are all good names to check out. i own an 80GB ipod classic so it's hard for me to recommend non apple products.

I would say Zune. I know it's a M$, but I've read that they're going DRM-free soon :)

SANSA +1 I got my wife one (2gig refurb from woot for 40$) and she likes it; I love it and want one myself. It offers FM, recording, video, audio out of the box; you need extras or the Ipod Linux to do some of it on an Ipod.
the sansa also has a Micro SD card slot for easy upgrade (just put a movie on a SD card and watch them on the sansa)

Back