• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IIS Webhosthing CGI/Perl/ASP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

Hi, i was wondering if anyone would like to help me out =) i wanted to offer a free hosting for my friends and stuff but im not sure were to get info i dont use Apache due to some tecnical problems and i found the IIS that Windows uses and i like it but the reson that im posthing is mostly for, info about how to set up a WebServer, i kno how to set up a host for normal stuff but not CGI/Perl and ASP.

also the hole www.mydomain.com/you/index.html thats no problem but how can i redirect some one else domain to there DIR ? like lest say

C:\wwwroot\blah\yourdir
i can make it to www.blah.com
but ween i want to use www.blah2.com and redirect it to C:\wwwroot\blah\yourdir\me\you\fun
thats what i need help about =p

and also how to run CGI/Perl and ASP on a IIS(win) base ?

There is nothing that you need to do on your end to make cgi/perl work. They need to do all the work. They need to make sure the scripts are in the scripts directory and their code that calls them is proper.

There isn't anything that you need to do on your end for ASP either. Just make sure that if their home page is .asp that you make sure you put default.asp or index.asp on the list of supported home pages.

Oh? thats all but dont i need to grant them access to the "MAin" CGI ? or dont i need to have perl run on the server ?

No you shouldnt need Perl in order for their scripts to work. The ISUser account should already have access to the CGI/Scripts Bin. You can alter that if you need more security.

If you use IIS go to Microsofts site and look for IIS Lockdown. There is a great tool in there called urlscan.exe. It will keep nimda and the script kiddies out.

WOW ok i think i got it.....i made a Vertual dir and redirected www.S-9.no-ip.com/test two
www.humpme.org

and it worked soooooo

if some one whants a Dir in my Server i give them my host/userpage and they have to redirect it to there own domain?

also does it coest money to redirect ? a host i kno theres free redirects but! they sorta sux becuase its like if i redirect this URL
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=74015

to www.meat.free.net its ok but how can i make it www.ipayedforthisdomain.com ?

thats the real question = )

Oh ya and is there a proggy that can monitor the bandwith ? so a webpage dosent take it all like just give them 20k bandwith and a maximum of 1-2gig's upload ? i kno how to make a Quota on a FTP so they cant upload more then what they "payed" for but i dont kno how to make it so they cant upload more then they "payed" for?

oh ya and how can i run a Forume on my website ? i want to host 1 because im tired of all the banners ?

and its bether if my Win32 Server is on NTSF right ? and not Fat32 ? lol

Oni said:
You might wanna try posting this in Operating Systems or Programming Tips and Tricks to get a more difinitive answer.

Do i have 2 or is it ok here? because im not sure how to move the hole Thread ? = )

Mi6 said:
Do i have 2 or is it ok here? because im not sure how to move the hole Thread ? = )

Its OK here, I was just thinking that if you put it in Operating Systems, you might get a more thorough answer, but Kingslayer did a very commendable job!

You'll pro'lly also want to keep up on ANY updates to IIS or Internet Explorer. You can do that from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

i checked for all the updates but theres no specifice 1s for IIS and i cant seem to find that many tools ? just the IISlockdown and some cheapo addons =p

but my main consern is Security ? what can i do to stop "hackers"
a firewall can only do sooo much....i used lockdown and i stoped some stuff but im sure theres other ways of gething in....i dont want to start a HAck tread but i wanted to kno is there any "Tool" so i can "hack" myslef and see what i can do and block it ? since im behind a Router and only some ports are blocked i guess it should be ok...for now...and i dont have a fire wall oon the server pc should i put 1 or will there be problems ?

When I get home from work I will sit down and answer all your questions......It's gonna be a long night. Unless the fish are biting, then youll just have to wait until Saturday, :)

Hehe thx allot =) do u have ICQ ? i think it would be easyer then speding all night on the Board = ) or by email ?

Ok on the domain.

1st thing you need to do is register the domain. You'll need to know two important things when you do this. And that's the primary and secondary IP of your DNS server. This will replicate your domain name out to other computer so people know your out there.

If you run a static IP on the host computer then you need to setup the dns. Pretty simple, just enter the name of your domain. So essentially, if your web hosting server is 555.555.555.555 then your dns server IP's will be the same. 555.555.555.555 for both primary and secondary DNS servers.

ISUser is an account that is installed into your accounts in 2000 or XP when you install IIS. This is the account that people use when they view your site on the internet. You can restrict the permissions of this account but you will cut people's access to some pages if not all. The default setting on this account is read only anyways. That's all people are doing to your page, reading it.

Redirects are usually setup in the htlm of the webpages. Unless your confusing redirects with headers. Headers are used if you are hosting more than one site on one IP. If www.webpage1.com is called by the view then the header will point that call to the right directory instead of sending it to www.webpage2.com by accident.

IISLockdown has URL scan built into. You can extract and only install urlscan.exe. I recommend it. As far as stopping hackers you need to understand permissions. You'll never stop a hacker that wants in. What you do is make it hard enough for them to get in that they dont want to waste the time and risk getting caught and say the hell with your server and go find one easier to crack. A firewall is good unless its a software firewall. Zonealarm and black ice are garbage and half a good hacker will waltz through either one.

As far as monitoring bandwidth, theres a lot of freeware programs out there that will suffice. And as for limiting bandwidth, there are settings inside IIS that will allow so much bandwidth to be used and how many total connections you want your server to allow.

the thing is i kno all this but not sure what to set....

you-As far as monitoring bandwidth, theres a lot of freeware programs out there that will suffice

but- were can i find 1 and witch should i use ?

you- And as for limiting bandwidth, there are settings inside IIS that will allow so much bandwidth to be used and how many total connections you want your server to allow.

but- were is the option for the bandwitdth ? and the limitation of coonection i have it set two 10 ? what is a resonable sething ?

you- Redirects are usually setup in the htlm of the webpages. Unless your confusing redirects with headers. Headers are used if you are hosting more than one site on one IP. If www.webpage1.com is called by the view then the header will point that call to the right directory instead of sending it to www.webpage2.com by accident

but- what i want to do is ween some 1 whants some space on my hd to host i see it as C:\wwwroot\blah\yourdomain <-- this is were his space is... but i want to kno insted of using my host witch is www.humpme.org and just adding a /youdoman to the mask i want to kno how can i redirect a allready owned domain like www.oc.com and make it so ween some 1 wants to access www.oc.com it well go to www.humpme.org/yourdomain ?

btw
www.humpme.org its not a port =p i just did not kno what name to buy and i found it funny =p
btw sorry for the "but's" =p

Also i wanted to kno how can i get a email that uses my host i kno i can use sandmail but thats on *nix is theres a IIS version of it ? so i can give emails like [email protected] ?

thx allot for your help = )

Ok you can find programs to monitor bandwidth at www.downloads.com

What you want to do is redirect using headers. If you already have www.humpme.com setup and your buddy has www.dryhumpme.com and you want to host it for him. All you need to do is add another site in IIS. Then he needs to change the dns servers he entered on his domain registration to your dns IP addy and it will work just fine.

Limiting bandwidth in IIS to a particular site isn't easy, it's been a while since I have had the need to do that, let me get back to you on that one.

As for creating your own email address you need a mail server application installed. I prefer Microsoft Exchange. But it can be a pain to configure and keep secure. There are freeware mail servers out there, but they just dont cut it in my opinion. But seeing you will probably have a small amount of mail traffic, they may be perfect for you. There are some email servers at downloads.com also.

all i can find at Download.com is this

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/...ml?tag=srch&qt=bandwidth+monitor&cn=&ca=10001

and it seems to only be to see the newrork activitis and not manage it and put a quota = (

and im not sure if i get this

you -What you want to do is redirect using headers. If you already have www.humpme.com setup and your buddy has www.dryhumpme.com and you want to host it for him. All you need to do is add another site in IIS. Then he needs to change the dns servers he entered on his domain registration to your dns IP addy and it will work just fine.

Were do i add the header i have a option to add a footer in IIS but i dont seem to be able to add a header and if he puts in my IP it will just redirect www.dryhumpme.org to the main page witch would be www.humpme.org/index.html ?

Kingslayer said:

Redirects are usually setup in the htlm of the webpages. Unless your confusing redirects with headers. Headers are used if you are hosting more than one site on one IP. If www.webpage1.com is called by the view then the header will point that call to the right directory instead of sending it to www.webpage2.com by accident.

Okokokok i got this section i found the sething but im not sure how it works?

all i see is
Custom Header Name
&
Custom Header Value

what should i add there?
thats what im not sure?

Back