• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx6300 oc / heat / profile / fan control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roab

Registered
Hi, my first post here, been a reader / scourer for years,
long time amd user, never owned a intel
trying to get the most out of my fx6300 before i retire and upgrade to either a new AMD cpu + either a 580 or 64vega. (haven't decided yet)

anyway bare with my noob level understanding however i am passionate about learning this stuff so any info shared will be devoured.

ok so, my concerns with my case airflow profile and my overclock.
also case fan control from mb
specifically amd fx6300
changed my multiplier (18) and oc the fsb +218 cpu/nb 2400 / 2600 ish , underclocked my ram gskill trident x, from 2400hz to 2033 (max my board supports is 1866) but does it in OC mode. my idle temps were around 40-50 (no c6 state) and about 37* with c6 state. anyhow. under load it rockets up to 70c real quick (cpu) keeps on going but i think it throttles and gives poor performance. so took side of my case off.
cooling changed significantly idle same 37c under load 62c
lastnight i took everything off cpu cooler etc re-seated it. cleaned off dust. back on with case open. was idle 31*c 52-55 under load, so thats the lowest its ever been. with case closed it idles around 37c. so at this point 31*c with keeping my o'c its awesome. but having my case closed will give me 50-70c under load.
i cannot figure out how to get control of 4 case fans that are all on the MB. its like they are just ON . and #1 is 100%
anyone tinkered with this settings / fan control from MB m5ac97 r2 evo Asus

cpuz fx6300oc.jpg
cpuz fx6300oc2.jpg
cpuz fx6300oc3.jpg

fan setup is. cheap aftermarket heatsink + fan (zalman something a rather) on silent profile.
this thing
cnps8000b.jpg
1 extractor rear of the tower, 3 front intake fans.

Last edited:
Fan rotation in case isn't configured for best cooling it suppose to be other way around one intake rest exoust but attracts more dust. There are fan headers on motherboard that allows you to change case fan speeds within BIOS labeled "sys fan" there should be at least 2 of those.
That cpu fan isnt much I think 212 is way better and it isnt that expensive.
Ram will "underclock" itself if board dosnt support its rated speed or in some cases wont work at all, go to ram profile and set it to 1866 just to be sure you dont want any issues wit it, currently your ram is working at 1700 mhz.
I do suggest that you forget about FSB for time being and try with multy alone later if you are not able to go further without it then use it in combination.
Turn off all of power saving features including c6 it might save you of trouble.
If in doubt about your OC stress test your machine for at least 1 hour with AIDA 64 or Prime96 (bland test) or both to be sure. Keep your eyes on HwMonitor while doing this clocks must not fall down too much or rise.

ok, i have changed a few things, fan directions 3 in 1 out (1 out behind by plug plate)
new cooler hyperevo overclocked to 4.4 @ 40*c idle.
did a quick test on cpuz
https://valid.x86.fr/2dgvfx
i think the m5a97 r2.0 evo has a better VRM for it , vcore voltage manually set to 1.38 LLC both disabled.

is that what you all would do ?

ok, i have changed a few things, fan directions 3 in 1 out (1 out behind by plug plate)
new cooler hyperevo overclocked to 4.4 @ 40*c idle.
did a quick test on cpuz
https://valid.x86.fr/2dgvfx
i think the m5a97 r2.0 evo has a better VRM for it , vcore voltage manually set to 1.38 LLC both disabled.

is that what you all would do ?

40c at idle is high, I have 5 PC's with FX-8350 and they don't even get to 40c on full load using Prime 95 or F@H.
Here are 2 CPU coolers you can check out that will really chill your CPU :)
Neptwin V2 and Assassin II

My 8370 4.7ghz idles ~20c (UK weather almost always much lower)...

Wife’s setup has a M5A97 EVO R2.0, controller (in Monitor tab) has Silent, Standard, Turbo and Manual, both for CPU and case fans ? Try LLC one below maximum and redo stress tests, will likely let you get away with lower voltage and lower temps.

40c idle is high as said above reduce that speed and vcore a bit. Vcore you set isn't high therefore idk about those temps they are oddly high. Rearange case fans do the opposite thing for better airflow get them more to exoust then for intake. Wait a second what cpu cooler do you use?

ok thanks guys. makes sense. im at the point where i need airflow. also its middle of summer here. it is super super hot so im guessing its around 27-30c case/mb sensor thinks the room is 38c. ?
going to try this LLC on 1 less that max
will report back.
having weird gpu idle temps of 65*c on the gtx 1060 3gb ACX2.0 model (single fan model 03g-P4-6160-KR) read about fan not engaging until around 60. so set it manually but still 65c* idle is high right? gets to 82c under load (max power profile)
in evga precision x i put fan control on manual (agressive) and its idle 51c

Roab, what is the make and model of the case?

Are your fans 3 wire or 4 wire? 4 wire fans can use a motherboard technology called PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to speed up slow down the fans according to temp triggers. You build a profile to match your needs in bios. 3 wire fans can be controlled on some motherboards by varying the voltage but this is not as convenient as PWM and cannot allow the fans to throttle down as low as PWM can.

You say you have three fans pushing air ("intake") into the case and one pulling it ou ("exhaust"). That is great for controlling dust but does not give as good a ventilation effect as if you had one pusher and three pullers. More pushers than pullers creates positive case air pressure and somewhat of a blockade as the air throughput will be limited by the pulllers (exhaust).

Can you take a picture of the interior of your case and attach it to a post? Use the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window to brows for and attach pics.

As I stated earlier, you have a bottleneck in your air flow with only one exhaust fan as it now is configured. Are there any places for fans in the top panel?

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would have been a better choice for your cooler upgrade. I believe it will fit in your case which is 205 mm wide. When you start overclocking those FX CPUs the temps start to soar, even the six core FXs.

Last edited:
nothing top panel. ok ill swap it around. so the rear is intake and 3 at the front are exhaust. i think thats how it came. i swatches it around thinking i knew better.
yeah i was going to get the 212 but didnt =/ its ok. ill probably jump ship on this fx next upgrade. rand =D you have almost identical sig ha. this how i have had mine for years on diff forums. =D classy

Yeah, I noticed that Sig similarity as well. Back when I was running an FX 6300 they would have looked even more alike.

Back