• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm Asking for Help From the Best Guys Out There - Severe Problem w/ 955XE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sneaky said:
O.K. guys, here's whats up:

I've had a golden 955XE chip that was just insane, but voltage NEVER, went over 1.55v (ran at 1.5125v stable daily)

1.5125 selected in BIOS, or droop modded and actual ?

- Chris

If your board is anything like mine was before droop modding, setting 1.5125v in BIOS produces ~ 1.54-1.55v idle. Still not super high I guess, but getting there.

EDIT: Just noticed your chip was an XE and not an ES - modified post.

Good luck with it.

- Chris

its an XE ES...

and ES = engineering sample... just means that its a pre-released chip from the factory as evaluative chips for reviewers, etc.

and they're often cherry picked to give reviewers the best possible chips

Well what I had said (and edited out) was that if its an ES, and you are the one that has had it since it popped out of the factory, then I'm kinda scratching my head like everybody else.

If it has been through "testing" (what they do with ES chips I suppose), perhaps it had a history of higher Vcore than what you were running ? Just a thought, in case you have not had it since day 1 from Intel.

- Chris

it was owned by mikeguava previousy - he takes very good care of these chips, and it had no problems at the beginning, and it was even the chip that he said he would've otherwise kept for himself

Just a thought.

Have you tried installing Windows with a different install disc? I've had a similar problem before and it turned out to be a crapped installer.

Proth mentioned cleaning it with a white eraser..
but in the same breath said to not pop it off unless absolutely nessiary.. so :shrug:

When is the celly D coming in for testing?

This is horrible news Justin.. :(
I would be :mad: :mad: :mad:

it comes on monday, but its basically already been confirmed as a dead chip... and its not just gonna get revived all of a sudden :(

I've got (heavily) overclocked air-cooled CPUs in service that have been running for 7-8 years. And when I see an overclocked air-cooled CPU die, it generally degrades slowly.

OTH, I rarely see a phase-change user with a "permanent" setup. Sure it's good for the OC, and sure, the temps are low, but I don't see it as being any good for the chip's lifespan. These sort of tales are common amongst the radical cooling guys, and I think to be expected. You've really got two choice--pursue 5+GHz with 4.5GHz silicon and replace chips often, or wait until the stuff really has 5GHz in it.

Back