• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm back.. new build.. no remorse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Media

Hehe :D I am the one who made that nutzo system and had the remorse. Well good news Is I sold/returned it all and got like $ 50.00 more than I spent so it was good. I figured I SHOULD have taken everyones advice when recommending parts because I made just an equivalent system for much cheaper. Let's compare:

Last Build: $1928.00

Corsair 400R
ASUS P8Z77-vPro
Intel 3770K with Corsair H100
MSI CrossFire 7970s
Corsair 8GB 1866MHz
Force GT 60GB
Win7 Pro 64-Bit
XF-I SoundBlaster
CoolerMaster 800W 80+ Gold Cert.

I also bought a monitor, speakers, and few other things that added up that I ended up keeping. Interestingly on my last Dell XPS 435mt, I had a few open programs for editing, rendering, and I topped out at maybe 6.5GB of my available 8GB RAM. But with this PC I had before I actually MAXED my 8GB and hit a blue screen. So retarded to be honest, quite disappointed, because I didn't render anything major like I did on my Dell 435mt. Anyhow so I sold that and now found a better matching system. No SLI or CrossFire for me, after talking to a few experts ONE good card is better than two. Two work for gaming but has issues with media and software. So here is my new system:

New build cost: $1,430.00

Corsair Carbide 300R
ASRock Extreme4
I7 3770K or AMD 8150 (leaning towards 3770K at this point)
Corsair H80 or H100 (leaning towards H80, since 300R may not handle H100)
Galaxy GTX 670 4GB (gotta go for that nVidia stability and CUDA cores)
Corsair 8GB 1866MHz
Force GT 60GB SSD
SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU
Win 7 Home 64-Bit

I think this build will actually do a lot better for me. Smaller, but still packs a big punch. I looked a lot between the 680 and 670 and for how close the specs, FPS, and scores are, the 670 won me over. Plus its the 4GB model which gives me over-head for media. I think one GTX 670 is enough, although I might regret it since the PSU I listed is only 520w so SLI would probably not be a possibility if I SLI 670s. I think the AMD with nVidia's CUDA technology would be pretty nice, but that 3770K served me pretty well. And like I said in another thread, I might even consider 2600k and 2700k, but pricing is like $10.00 more for a 3770K. At this point I am still doing research and getting opinions.

What version? Which ones of the suit do you use?

Matters since different programs (and even different versions) are accelerated in different ways, some that perform better on AMD and some that perform better on NVIDIA.

What version? Which ones of the suit do you use?

Matters since different programs (and even different versions) are accelerated in different ways, some that perform better on AMD and some that perform better on NVIDIA.

I think they are giving us CS5 now. I know CS6 supports OpenCL more, but I think to the core of it, CUDA and nVidia are the best way to go when rendering, although AMD with nVidia would be nice because AMDs advantages when rendering vs Intel.

I was going to go with another Carbide 400R because it was awesome but its still too expensive, and the 300R look great. I won't be going H100 again, probably just an H80 would do just great. It will be limited over-clocking as well.

Back