• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm having an issue with my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think mine is locked, the UI to afterburner is just so confusing to me but I'll give it another try.

On Afterburner I think there is an adjustment for "Power" and "Voltage". I assume the power adjustment raises the throttle down limit and has to do with watts (i.e., heat) which would be increased by both raising the clock speed and/or the volts. On the cards I have used Afterburner on I have not been able to increase the GPU core voltage in isolation but I have been able to adjust t he Power upward. Not sure this is all correct or helpful but I throw it out there for correction of my misconceptions if nothing else.

yea but in some ways I would rather just flash the cards bios instead of using a program and stuff.

Flashing the bios will not overclock the care nor necessarily give you additional overclocking features. New bioses on video cards usually just fix bugs or compatibility problems.

hey in task manager it shows that my memory is running at 933mhz. Is that normal? I'm about to freak out, I feel that it is normal because about the DDR double data rate but I just figured that windows would report it as 1866mhz somewhere? So can I can some insight on this please?

Last edited:
I really hate to worry so much, but I find myself just looking endlessly on the internet trying to compare or see what would be correct for my sensor readings on my GPU. What bothers me is that GPU-Z reads that the VDDC Current is 15.0A.

HWinfo64 gives me more readings...

I know that these sensor readings and this and that may not be accurate but I do need something to go on but I don't want to drive myself nuts.

without going into much more detail I just feel that I need to benchmark my GPU like using firestrike or something like that.

I feel that I need to benchmark my gpu just to see if it's alright or what I mean is that it might be my only really way knowing if it's alright and I figured running a benchmark would give me a good reason to trust my PSU and make sure enough amps are going through the two 12v rails.

I'm able to hit 99% gpu load without no trouble from what gpu-z shows.

From my past research on my PSU it can deliver 54amps on those 12v rails and from what I remember my gpu needs 60amps so with that being stuck in my head I stay worried on something bad happening or something bad has already happen and I'm overlooking it.

I just need to know more so I can make sure everything is ok and I just don't know that best way to go about it. Like I was thinking maybe a benchmark and then compare the gpu score maybe?

60 amps at 12v is 720 watts. There is no way what-so-ever that your GPU pulls 720w. Go ahead and bench your system though, it never hurts to verify that everything is in order.

Well that's why I assume Sapphire has a minimum PSU requirement of 750watt for the card that I have. I only found that out after I ordered my PSU that I have now but I would have no doubt got an RM 750 or higher if I knew the PSU requirement for this card before hand. I know sapphire has probably just over rated the card also.

To be clear, that recommendation is for the whole SYSTEM. Your card only pulls 250W at stock speeds. A quality, but more so FUNCTIONAL 650W PSU has PLENTY of horsepower to run that GPU. Now, if you CPU is overclocking to the moon, and you overclock that 280x to the moon, THEN perhaps you can break 600W... But you aren't overclocking that CPU to the moon on that cooler in the first place.

If the PSU is good, it has enough power.

yea I mean that's what I was thinking too. Is 3dmark 11 demo ok to use? Or should I buy the advance version?

I don't see anything about Unigine Heaven.

But from steam I ran the 3dmark 11 basic edition and ran benchmark tests only.

3DMark Score 8687
Graphics Score 10413
Physics Score 5878
Combined Score 5695

I don't really know how that compares to other scores though. From what I can tell my results maybe are in the normal range but I don't know.

Last edited:
You can just google "Unigine Heaven" and get the DL....: https://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/

That said, 3d11 has a CPU component in it so the overall score is tough to compare against, but the graphics score should be in the ballpark. That said, Heaven is not CPU dependent much at all so that would be a better thing to compare against...

cool i'll check it out, and yea after doing some more research I see that my scores are low but passible I guess from my 3dmark 11 results.

cool i'll check it out, and yea after doing some more research I see that my scores are low but passible I guess from my 3dmark 11 results.
Again, CPU makes a big difference in that overall score... more cores = higher score there due to the physics test.

I just ran the test again under the correct settings that techpowerup has for their results chart and I scored 882 and that compared to my closes match at techpowerup which is 974 from a user using an fx-6350 and an r9 280x. But his 280x shows a gpu clock of 1150mhz and mine is 1020mhz. and his cpu being 4.4ghz and mine atm is 4.3ghz.

I be sure to get more familiar with these benchmarks and I'll come to the assumption that maybe my system is OK.

I need to figure out what to do with my dilemma by having a 2d app open keeps my gpu at 870mhz while still having a game open.

I'm thinking of just flashing my gpu's bios again and raise the 2d app values or what ever like I did before when I raised them to the default clock of 1020 except this time I may just raise them to 950 or something like that and see if I notice any improvement while in my game but having a stream and stuff going in IE.

For the most part my system does not see much idle time at all sense I'm mostly always logged into my game. With that being said I feel that I should just have my gpu run at it's max default values no matter what i'm doing as I will have my game open and running. Just closing IE does not take my gpu out of the 2d state as I have to log off and out of my game and then re-open it to have my gpu run at it's max default values. That's a hassle to me sense I will not IE closed for too long from the way I used my PC anyway.

Unless after burner has some setting that the other apps don't have I can't raise my gpu out of the 2d state unless I flash the bios and change the values that way.

I still need some help to figure out the best way I should go about doing any of this and if any of you have a similar experience with keeping your GPU from running in it's 2d power state and at it's maximum default state please help or let me know how or what you did.

I really would love to have this solved for me sense I do plan to overclock even more with my GPU if I can or even my CPU sense I know I can do 4.7ghz or more and beyond.

With the game I play I have noticed that anytime I get around a lot of characters or in a town that's loaded down with characters my gpu load will lower and my cpu load will raise and in general I'll have a lower fps overall. So i'm thinking and with the research that I have done by looking online that in those areas and or when having a but load of characters near or around me it's more cpu bound than GPU bound. So I'm thinking if I swap a fx-8350 in I'll have a nice increase in those areas and my gpu load maybe would not drop "as much". Am I on target with what I'm thinking with how some places in the game are more cpu bound and sense i'm running a 6350 it's unable to feed the gpu as much as like how so many characters maybe are present.

From what I see online everyone points towards any MMORPG being more cpu bound anytime a lot of characters are around. Other than that my gpu stays loaded only until I hit those high populated areas.

Sorry I know I may have just said a lot but I'm just trying to get it out there on what I'm trying to achieve and making sure my PC is running like it supposed to anyway.

25 sec into that video this guy shows his memory in task manager and it shows that his speed is 1600Mhz.

Is this because he is using all 4 of his slots? Because he is using 4 of 4 slots also.

I just assume that it is so would I get any benefit from using 4x4gb modules and if I did do that would my memory read as 1866mhz in task manager?

I didn't really think my build out too well but I would have got a 4x4gb module package from crucial but instead I got my 2x8gb.

Back