• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm having some problems with stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaStA

Well I'm having some problems. I had a P5B deluxe and it died so I went with the P35-DQ6. Everything is working great and I haven't noticed any problems until now. I was doing some overclocking just trying to get a measily 3.2ghz out of my E6400 which I was able to do on my P5B at like 1.4v. I can get it to boot no problem, but running orthos will freeze the computer within seconds or the highest I've seen is about 6 minutes. I even tried running it at 1.5v vcore, +.40v DDR2, +.20 FSB volt, and +.20 MCH volt with no luck. I am running my memory 1:1 with the clock 400x8 with stocking timings, etc. I even loosened the timings a little. Anyhow overclocking doesn't seem to be the real problem...I can't even run orthos without the computer locking up with everything stock. I do kind of feel stupid to say I killed my P5B with a multi meter lol...I wasn't paying attention and I think I touched two points with one lead. This leads me to ask...could this have harmed any other component or would it have just killed the motherboard as it did? Everything seems to be fine and the +12v, 3.3v, and 5v seem fine. Core temp is reporting in the 30's idle so that isn't an issue either. I was a little pissed about the overclock, but now I'm worried I can't even run orthos stock and not lock up. Any help is appreciated. Just to confirm the PSU's volts were fine I used a paperclip to get the PSU running and tested the +12, +5, and +3.3 and they read 12.04-12.05, 5.00-5.01, and 3.29-3.30. So it isn't the PSU I would have to say... I also ran Memtest and did not get any errors. At this point I'm thinking either the processor or motherboard somehow...

Thank you in advance,
Jared

It could be you messed something else up. Any clue what the two points were on the P5B?

Have you tried Prime95? Its the app Orthos is based off of and I think I heard Orthos is still in beta testing.

Another thing you should check is the heatsink to make sure its mounted correctly.

Well a couple days ago I put new hard drives in and on an accident put Vista x64 on. Out of curiosity I put my old 80 gig hard drives back in with Vista x86 and orthos is running fine....

So I imagine it was a bad install of 64 bit or something because I know people who have no problems running Orthos on Vista x64. Either way I'm going to format the new drives and put 32 bit on and see if all goes well. Damn I'm pissed...I tore my whole computer apart to find this out... I'll report back after I'm done :)

Jared

Well after lots of testing and going through stuff to try finding out what the issue was I have come down to this...

I believe Kaspersky 7.0 is the problem. Seeing that a clean install of Vista x64 ran orthos fine until I put Kaspersky 7.0 on it. After uninstalling Kaspersky 7.0 orthos runs fine again. Whether Kaspersky in general won't work well with Vista x64 or if it is just 7.0. I know 6.0 works fine with Vista x86.

So my question is...

Does anyone run Vista x64 and Kaspersky 7.0? If so, do you have any problems with running orthos?

Thank you,
Jared

Use NOD32 if you can, not sure if Vista supports it, but it's the best virus program out there, and it probably has the lowest footprint.

Maverick0984 said:
Use NOD32 if you can, not sure if Vista supports it, but it's the best virus program out there, and it probably has the lowest footprint.

I'm not really worried about getting viruses at the moment. I'm wondering what the hell is going on. Kaspersky and Vista x64 should work together with no problems...heck it just got an award for how well they specifically work together. They seem to work fine and I can game with no issues...but Orthos doesn't do so well with it.

Jared

Back