• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im looking for a new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

specter338

im fairly new to hardware and i was looking to upgrade my msi motherboard
for hardware i currently have

MSI 970a-g46 mobo
AMD FX-6100 CPU
two radeon hd 6870 xfire
raidmax RX-850AE psu
12GB of ram

witch msi motherboard would be best for the hardware i currently have any input would be appreciated thank you

Last edited:
Sabertooth and Crosshair V are the best out there in the AMD world. I had one of each for a couple of weeks a month or so ago and I ended up keeping the Sabertooth. I got it for $99 at Geeks, and the CHV was $154 Open Box Newegg. I figured the CHV would be a fuzz better, but in actual game performance (especially Crossfire) the Sabertooth was showing better fps. Just slightly, but it was consistent, so I kept the Sabertooth. I was running a M5A97 EVO prior to this upgrade, and I saw about 10% increase in fps due to the 990 dual 16x setup of the Sabertooth.

Edit to add: I did see that you asked "which MSI mobo would be best", specter, but in all honesty I would have to say none of them. The Gygabyte 990 board trents suggested would be a decent upgrade for you, but search some and you will find a lot of guys burning those up .

Last edited:
the SABERTOOTH will run both cards an x16 right

Yes, the Sabertooth 990fx has two 16x PCIe slots. I noticed about 10% better fps going to it from my 970 board (16x+4x) with my Crossfire setup.

S2_1080p_benchmark.JPG

Shogun 2 1080p scripted benchmark with AMD FX-4170, ASUS M5A97 & 2x Powercolor AX6790 (not typo) Crossfired.

ST_S2_64fps.jpg

Shogun 2 1080p scripted benchmark with AMD FX-4170, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx & 2x Powercolor AX6790 Crossfired.

Last edited:
So i went with the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 and WOW! what a difference definite performance increase thank you all for your help

I like my sabertooth better than my crosshair v for anything other than bulldozer.

I was on the fence about the sabertooth vs the crosshair. I went with the crosshair but I may add a second rig and go Vishera with sabertooth or possibly swap cpu's...

Back