• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm missing an important plot scene in Half Life 2: Episode II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Rrrgh! For some reason my PC can't handle the scene in Half Life 2: Episode II? Its right after you get the Larve essence from the Guardian and the Vortigon are working on Alex. As soon as they start thier ritual my PC starts to lock up!!

I can see things only just 1 frame every few seconds and the sound is just as bad. I can see that the "G Man" appears and starts saying something about a bad time to have a heart to heart? Then you see flashbacks of him sitting at Black Mesa and other shots of Barney?? I can't hear a damn thing and the video keeps locking up worse and worse? I don't understand why it does this? I set my video as low as it will go and it still locks up?? (I have a 512Mb Geoforce 7600, a 3.06Ghz P4 and 512Mb Ram and the game runs smooth usually??)

Can anyone tell me what goes on? I've searched through about 15 videos on Youtube and cant find that scene so far?

Thanks!

P.S. So far, HL2 isn't really that good. It's kind of boring and repetative. It looks amazing though.

In steam, right click on your game and properties -> verify local files (or verify integrity or something like that). My guess is that something is wrong with your file, you have a corrupt file..it happens. Steam will check all your files for you, and hopefully fix the issue.

Failing that, delete your local content and re-download Ep 2 again.

I'll admit that the start of Ep 2 is a bloody snoozefest, everything after the mineshaft is brilliant.

The GMan gives Alex a message to give to her father and goes on about how inportant she is blah blah...

Game is F-N great though!!! Better than Ep1 IMO. Wait till you get to the Striders... Muah ha ha ha :D

Edit: Oh and make sure you have all the updated drivers and did a uninstall of the old ones, driver cleaner etc... you know the drill I'm sure.

OK I finally found the movie on youtube... there are so many G-Man videos that it was hard to find.

Thanks for the help everyone. It was a problem with just that scene?
I'm at the point where I beat Dog in a race in the car and just arrived. Figure I have about 2-3 hours left? So far I'm still not enjoying the game as much as I did Portal for instance.

Portal was the shining gem in The Orange Box. You have to remember that HL2 E2 is not a full game. It's 1/3rd of a game. There's no real beginning and no real end.

That being said, it's not a bad game, it's just . . . not as good as Ep 1. I'm sure Ep 3 will be awesome.

Portal was the shining gem in The Orange Box. You have to remember that HL2 E2 is not a full game. It's 1/3rd of a game. There's no real beginning and no real end.

That being said, it's not a bad game, it's just . . . not as good as Ep 1. I'm sure Ep 3 will be awesome.

Agree 100% on Portal but Ep 1 better than Ep 2 :confused: I have to disagree. Ep 2 has been the ****zle IMHO. Way more action packed and those hunters are way fun to fight. I still can't figure out how to kill them with their own flachettes (sp?) though?

I still can't figure out how to kill them with their own flachettes (sp?) though?

Once they stick in the ground (or wall or whatever) grab 'em w/ the gravity gun and fire them back. 'least I think that'll work. I didn't unlock that achievement.

I've only unlocked 50% of the achievements. Some of them are going to be damn-near impossible, like the Neighborhood Watch achievement or the Puttin' on a Clinic achievement.

There are two that I got but it didn't credit me for. I got the Hit 'n' Run achievement but it didn't credit me for it, and I also got Defense of the Armament achievement and it didn't credit me for it :(.

The Little Rocket Man achievement is also a pain, as you have to carry that little ba*tard from the start of Ep 2 right until near the end, where you place him inside the rocket. I'm not looking forward to that one.

Once they stick in the ground (or wall or whatever) grab 'em w/ the gravity gun and fire them back. 'least I think that'll work. I didn't unlock that achievement.

I've only unlocked 50% of the achievements. Some of them are going to be damn-near impossible, like the Neighborhood Watch achievement or the Puttin' on a Clinic achievement.

There are two that I got but it didn't credit me for. I got the Hit 'n' Run achievement but it didn't credit me for it, and I also got Defense of the Armament achievement and it didn't credit me for it :(.

The Little Rocket Man achievement is also a pain, as you have to carry that little ba*tard from the start of Ep 2 right until near the end, where you place him inside the rocket. I'm not looking forward to that one.

First I tried catching some in flight... ya that don't work :| I tried grabbing them from a wall but that didn't work either? The only thing I can guess is to hold something when they fire at you that they'll stick in and then throw it back at the hunter *shrugs* but have not been so succesful with that either - LOL

Ya some of those achievements seem pretty daunting. Wish I had noticed them at the beginning cause I would have tried the rocketman right away. I had to wonder WTH the travelocity gnome was doing in HL2 o_O. "I'm here to enforce the garanteeeeee!"

Back