• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im ruling things out, Im pretty sure my Q9550 or my board is damaged

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaV3N

I started to get bluescreens with an attempted overclock on my cpu a few days ago. I used as much as 1.42V for no more then 20-30 min. I started getting BSOD so I went back to my stable OC. After going back I kept getting BSOD so I assumed windows was damaged. After a fresh install I started getting the BSOD again. I started to think it was my memory but after downclocking the cpu and leaving my memory at the settings in my signature, 100% stable stress tested so its not my ram. I then downclocked my ram and set my CPU to my "was stable" setting and BSOD. So im pretty sure its my cpu or my board? Is it that easy for a 45nm cpu to get damaged in 20-30 min?
(I will be officialy ruling out the cpu and the board when I test with my friends E8650.)

Down load and run memtest for windows. I had a similar problem this weekend and it turned out the ram was going bad.

Last edited:
run prime95 the multi-core version, if small fails at your oced speed then it is your cpu. if it doesnt fail on small run blend.

It fails on blend , but only when my cpu is overclocked, OC memory runs fine. When I was running memtest I kept getting random reboots and then one time it told me my northbridge was over heating after a boot.

ok but does it fail on small then? if it doesnt and memtest say memory is ok, the NB needs more voltage. blend stresses cpu/nb/memory at the same time... making memtest small pass is just on the cpu, large is for memory. see where im going?

On small the cpu doesnt fail at stock settings. I cant even test it at any OC settings. Now I just cant even OC my cpu , It wont even boot at 3.2-3.4. So Im just at stock setting.

Well, if you can run at stock speeds with no errors, your CPU or board isnt damaged.

Id start all over with overclocking. Forget all your "good" settings and start fresh. Drop your multi and run your ram slow (loosen up the timings). Get your highest FSB then increase then multi from there.

Right now in small Im testing stable at my original overclock(signature) with one stick of RAM. The first stick I tried didnt work. Is it possible all these siddeffects can be caused by bad ram?

It fails on blend , but only when my cpu is overclocked, OC memory runs fine. When I was running memtest I kept getting random reboots and then one time it told me my northbridge was over heating after a boot.

A lot of your issues, except the one about the northbridge temp of course, sounds like Vcore issues.

I think its your board. The nVidia chipsets are known for running hot and getting a little flaky. Can you put any better cooling on the NB?

I actually just changed my side panel on the THermaltake Armor LCS and the board runs hotter? Could it be my northbridge is overheating or regardless it seems like its the board?

NOTE:Meory in single sticks boots up stable but after 10-12 min of torture test large it blue screens.

Last edited:
then run memtest on the ram to make sure, right now it is pointing to ram. BSOD can be caused by flaky/damaged ram or unstable oc's either cpu or NB related. if you have already added more NB voltage then i have to go with ram as the issue.

I tested my rig this weekend with memtest and it would error then bsod if I didn't stop the test. I happened to have another 2gigs of the same ram so I switched to my back up set and now I have no errors in memtest (3000+ passes) and I have been priming on blend all day! When ram dies slowly it does some strange things to your rig!

It turned out to be the ram. I RMA'd the ram at new egg and got a different pair comming in.

Back