• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm torn.. what to do..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

Here's the deal. My current system is in my sig. I have $200. It's time to update my motherboard.. mATX just isn't doing it for me. So I need a new motherboard. I'm gonna sell my old one for $35 to a friend, so add that to the budget as well. I'm willing to go Intel if you can fit that in the budget, but I have less flexibility than normal in the budget. I need an ATX motherboard, and I need as many sata ports as possible. I can use up to 9 hard drives, but don't mind sacrificing a few. SLI 2-way support is pretty important for future upgrades..

now here's the thing. I'm torn on the whole bulldozer thing. Would it be worth it to get the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5? BD will be cheaper when I upgrade my chip if I do that. because I'm 17 years old and have a hard time getting money :p
I hate to overlook that gigabyte board.. It's perfect for my needs. all black. Little enough blue that I'd feel safe covering it in orange paint to make it look pretty. and it's super easy, just drop my current cpu in and install my hsf.

if anyone has any other possibilities, please tell. This is a computer that will undergo constant upgrades. I currently have plans for a gtx 560 ti and a cpu upgrade before too long. which means. when i get money. which may actually be a while ><

anyway sorry for the rant. and thanks for your help

First off, what is your primary use of your computer?

Second, having an 8 core CPU paired up to a 9500 GT is a comedy act.. lol

Third, what takes advantage of 8 cores let alone 4, for a home desktop?

Forth, you have $235 for gear., The mobo is about $200 without CPU... Where is the funds coming from to get the CPU for this board...?? Unless you're sticking your old CPU in there...

You have alot of thinking to do... I really like that mobo you have chosen!

First off, what is your primary use of your computer?

Second, having an 8 core CPU paired up to a 9500 GT is a comedy act.. lol

Third, what takes advantage of 8 cores let alone 4, for a home desktop?

Forth, you have $235 for gear., The mobo is about $200 without CPU... Where is the funds coming from to get the CPU for this board...?? Unless you're sticking your old CPU in there...

You have alot of thinking to do... I really like that mobo you have chosen!

I understand what you're saying with all of that :p the 9500 gt isn't gonna stay. it'll go before the cpu in all likelihood. And my plan was to keep the cpu and upgrade the mobo and then go bulldozer later on. Although with the uh.. poopy.. release of bulldozer, it got me considering something along the lines of a 2500k provided I could fit it in my budget. I only thought that was possible because I misunderstood what my friend said about pricing.. and it doesn't look like i can D:

As for primary use.. currently mostly gaming, but also programming work. Before long, I'll probably be doing a lot of CAD work. Especially once I get into college, I'll probably be using it for school as well. and assuming all goes in my "ideal" situation, I'll use it to store videos of my classes because I hate deleting files :facepalm: and if i can film classes on a laptop webcam and move them over to my desktop.. it's like a dream come true :D

Back