• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm trying to decide...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

So i have an Intel Core I7 3770K and i'm trying to decide on a motherboard, and thus i have come to you lovely people! :D

So the options are:
Sabertooth Z77 by ASUS
Asrock Extreme6
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP7
Or the ROG ASUS MAXIMUS V Extreme
I really like the ROG but could my processor use all the available PCI x 16 slots?
Which would you reccomend? i've asked this question time and time again, i know, i know i change my mind a lot... also my GPU's are going to be 2 7970Ghz editions by sapphire tech, so 2.5 PCI slots in total will be taken up by each card.. could someone please help me find a motherboard to house all this awesomeness.

What are you overclocking to?

ROG boards are made for extreme cooling and benchmarking. If you don't use dry ice or liquid nitrogen, you don't need a ROG board.

The Sabertooth is just a regular Asus P8Z77 board with a different color scheme and a ton of marketing.

I've never overclocked before, BUT I'm going to be learning how with this PC , and eventually i want to learn how to overclock to extreme levels! :D

Another thing, i'd rather by an ASUS board because i like them a lot, but otherwise i don't know...

My Cooler as of right now is either going to be the Kraken X60 An H100I, H110 or the Noctua Dh-14! which do you reccomend if i want to get an overclock eventually to 5+ GHz? Please help me!
Thanks in advance!

Also forgot to mention, i'm not doing a custom water loop or any of that crap. so of those coolers. those are the ones i've set my mind on. so one of those coolers is what it has to be.

Frankly hitting 5GHz without custom water is difficult at best. You just have to be lucky and get a good chip. I wouldn't guarantee anything above 4.5GHz with air or all-in-one liquid cooling.

Also, the 7970 and 7970GHz Edition are the same card. You're just paying more for them to overclock it for you. Get one with a good cooler and they'll both overclock to the same levels.

This is the card I would get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814a125413. Comes at GHz Edition clocks anyway (1GHz on the core, hence the name).

Last edited:
I'm going to buy a small system at some point, and it's going to be something stupid like 8350 or something and do a custom waterloop and do all the custom things, just like a cheap system so i can learn and screw up all i want and it wont matter get my drift? so for this PC my gaming PC, what would you recommend? for i don't know, a 4.5Ghz OC on a warm summer day in ontario (30 Degrees Celsius) with a nice chilly basement. what do you think i should use as a cooler? *also you've been the biggest help on this build Knufire!*

Lol, an 8350 system isn't any cheaper than the CPU/motherboad you're buying now. I guess you just have a lot of money to burn :p

When building a custom water loop, we recommend you set up the loop without any components to leak test anyway.

You keep changing your mind, I can't make recommendations that way. If you want to overclock as far as possible, then you need the best cooler you can get and a motherboard like the ASRock Extreme6. If you only want to hit 4.5GHz, then all you need is an ASRock Extreme3 or Extreme4 and a TRUE Spirit 140. You just have to accept the fact that nothing is guaranteed with overclocking, and even with the best CPU cooler and motherboard in the world, some chips just won't make it over 4.5GHz.

Okay, get your terminology right, you're confusing me. The 7970GHz Edition and 6GB 7970 are different things. What you linked is a 7990 which is another completely separate thing entirely and only has 3GB of usable vRAM. It's basically regular 7970 CFX, but on a single card.

Sorry, i know i'm hard to follow. i'll lay it all out here across the table okay? (also i'm 15 and have a full time job, so yeah i burn through money like crazy...)
okay so I want to learn how to overclock, Then as i progress i want to learn how to overclock farther and farther... so far i have my processor an Intel Core I7 3770K and my case which can house any motherboard as it's E- ATX compatible. As of right now i need help choosing a motherboard, GPU, RAM, PSU, and Water/Air Cooler. I need one that would be good for overclocking to decent/extreme levels. but isn't extremely expensive (mostly because i don't want to wait any longer)

Now. As far as GPU's i'm thinking
Two 7990's
Two GTX 680's
Two GTX 690's
or Two GTX Titan's
As far as Motherboards i'm thinking:
Asrock Extreme6
ASUS Maximus V
Or ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Or If you can suggest one that would be better for my needs that would be able to house all those GPU's. Keep in mind there will be AT LEAST 2 (Two) GPUs and a High class sound card.
does that explain my mind a little better? :p

-thanks again for all the help! :D

Also forget about the 8350 system for now :p

Wow. 15? Shouldn't you know...save the money for when you actually need it in the future?

Because it's quite obvious you're about to blow a lot of money and you don't even really know what you're doing.

Really, I think you need to step back and realize that a computer isn't a giant expensive toy.

Yes, i'm 15 years old :p (hence my grammar is terrible) and i do save money, well at least my mom does for me, since i started working she's been taking 200/week away and putting it in a high interest bank account, that is free of charges because i'm a youth... so in all technicality, i'm saving more money than i'm burning through :p

Well, age isn't an excuse for terrible grammar, I joined this forum at 14 and used perfect spelling and grammar in my posts, it's more laziness than lack of knowledge. :p.

First of all...what are you actually using this computer for?

I never said it was a giant expensive toy, i just want the best.. of the best. and i wanted a little help to get all my thoughts together and see exactly what would be within my best interests.

I never said age was an excuse :p just more of a lack of knowledge on how exactly the english language works in all circumstances.

This computer will mostly be for gaming, recording, editing, rendering, and creating Mods for my favourite game in Blender. OH! and for learning :p

i just want the best.. of the best

Buy what you need, not what you want. You're young, better learn this lesson now than learning it the hard way later when you drive yourself broke.

This is how you should build a computer. First, you need to figure out what you're using it for, then pick components that can perform those tasks to a performance level that's acceptable to you. Just buying the most expensive/best of everything is wasting money.

So I'll ask again, what are you using the computer for? What games? What resolution? Recording what? Editing with what software?

You're a smart guy, y'know that! The main purpose of the project is to learn, and see how long i can make a computer last and still play the top games for as long as possible. i do regret buying my processor but it's to late now...

So I'll ask again, what are you using the computer for? What games? What resolution? Recording what? Editing with what software?

You won't learn anything different from a $600 build and a $3000 build, the basics are all the same. With futureproofing, you spend a LOT more money for little improvement. Technology moves so fast, that no matter what you buy now, it'll be outdated in 2-3 years. Spending more money only changes that number by a few months.

As far as games;
Farming simulator 2013, Assassins Creed 3 and the new one coming out, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, F1, Minecraft, Most other Simulator games, Batman Arkham City, Arkham Asylum, Civ V, All the Star Wars Games. And monitors i haven't decided on, i was thinking like a 32" TV for maps and stuff, 3 sets of these
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=80898&vpn=GW2255 x2&manufacture=Bundle Deals&promoid=132
so 6 screens total, and i was planning on having the 32" TV running off the onboard graphics.
Recording my gameplay
and editing with Adobe Priemere/Photoshop heavily.

Back