• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Image or Clone HDD to reinstall later ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danhasmail

Registered
Hi everyone, HAPPY NEW YEAR
I'm in the process of reloading my computer AGAIN!!!
Windows 7 Pro 64bit is already reloaded which was easy and fast enough, but downloading and installing all the windows updates takes my slow wireless connection a very long time.
When it's done and maybe after i install MS Office and its updates, i would like to save it all at that point.
That way, if i need to reload again, it would be alot faster to use the image file or clone file.
I would be putting the image or cloned file on my WD external drive.
I have the True Image program, not installed yet, but i have it. I was thinking of using that.
If i need to reload again using these methods, just how do i go about that ???

Any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Win 7 and Win 10 have image backups built in. (8 might have it as well but I have no experience with it) I've used it several times when swapping HDDs and never had any problems. You can create a bootable disk to do the restore but I have always used the win7/10 install disk to boot and restore.

The only thing I have ran into is it won't restore to a smaller disk. If you think that might be something you would do you can shrink the partition, create the backup image, then expand the partition.

I created a Windows Repair Disk on a CD, then I used win 7's create an image tool and put the image on my external drive.
I'm gonna make another image after I install office 2010.
thanks for your suggestion.
do you see any downside to the way I did it ???
respond if you do.
thanks again for your help.
danny

Back