• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improve cooling for better performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuck38

Registered
Hi folks..

I was just wondering, is there anyway I can improve my cooling? I'm probably going to get a chip set cooler, but I was wondering if there was any better CPU cooling. Right now I have a Corsair H55, with 2 case fans. One in the front and one on the top, in an effort to cool off my chip set. (Which does work a little.) I've been overclocking quite a bit and got my AMD FX-6300 up to 4899.73MHz, but as you can see my temps were really bad so I just took the screenshot and then went back to 4.5 GHz.

Screenshot (13).png

So I was thinking that perhaps if I could improve my cooling than I just might be able to OC it to 5GHz. Maybe.

Thanks for any input. :thup:

-Chuck

First and foremost, what motherboard are you running?

Honestly, the H55 is garbage.
Get a Swiftech H220-x or H240-x, which ever will fit in your case, and you'll have a cooler you can actually work with.

Also, SpeedFan is useless for newer hardware, get HWMonitor instead.

First and foremost, what motherboard are you running?

Honestly, the H55 is garbage.
Get a Swiftech H220-x or H240-x, which ever will fit in your case, and you'll have a cooler you can actually work with.

Also, SpeedFan is useless for newer hardware, get HWMonitor instead.
MSI 970A-G43. Yes, yes.. I know. It's not that great for overclocking, especially since it's a 4+2 phase board. But it's been doing surprising well.

Really? I guess I had just assumed the H-55 was good.. Oh, well good to know. So I'm assuming the Swiftech would make a considerable difference?

I'll download HWMonitor.

The only reason it stood a chance so far as because you're on a 6 core and not an 8 core.

I would expect a 10°C drop on core temp from the H55.

I would be very careful with that board, I had 2 Msi 970a G45's blow up on me overclocking on them will lesser chips then the 6300.

I would be very careful with that board, I had 2 Msi 970a G45's blow up on me overclocking on them will lesser chips then the 6300.
Holy crap, really?

Wow. :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason it stood a chance so far as because you're on a 6 core and not an 8 core.

I would expect a 10°C drop on core temp from the H55.
Hmm.. okay. So trying to overclock any further would probably not be a smart move.

Well, I'm fine with running it at 4.1GHz.

We've literally seen the VRM on those low end MSI boards catch fire more than once when being pushed

Well, I guess I won't be overclocking anymore on this board. ;)

A wise idea :)

Let us know if you get the funds to upgrade the motherboard (and cooling?) and we'll be glad to recommend better hardware and guide you through the overclock!

Will do.

And thank you, for stopping me from blowing my PC up. ;)

Glad I popped back in here.

Any time!
They're much more fun when they are functioning haha

Yes Chuck when I first started overclocking I had a AMD 955 be and the Msi 970A g45 board. I did not know the importance of the components surrounding the processor. I managed to get the 955 to about 3.6 ghz at 1.4 v and then I heard an electronic crackling noise, followed by a pop and then smoke. I was not at really high temps either I belive they were still in the high 40c range. Anyhow Msi replaced the board and sent me a new one. I will say their customer service was really nice to deal with. On receiving a new board I proceeded to try again and the same thing happened. Returned it again and promptly sold the new board.

I purchased an Asus M5A99Fx board and it has served me well since. It's not the best board for overclocking but it is stout enough for a mild OC without having to worry about the magic smoke being released.

Yes Chuck when I first started overclocking I had a AMD 955 be and the Msi 970A g45 board. I did not know the importance of the components surrounding the processor. I managed to get the 955 to about 3.6 ghz at 1.4 v and then I heard an electronic crackling noise, followed by a pop and then smoke. I was not at really high temps either I belive they were still in the high 40c range. Anyhow Msi replaced the board and sent me a new one. I will say their customer service was really nice to deal with. On receiving a new board I proceeded to try again and the same thing happened. Returned it again and promptly sold the new board.

I purchased an Asus M5A99Fx board and it has served me well since. It's not the best board for overclocking but it is stout enough for a mild OC without having to worry about the magic smoke being released.
Well, I've had this board for well over a year now so I don't know if they would take it back or not.

I'll add a new board to my list of upgrades. ;)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I just wanted to inform you the possibility of it happening. Will it definitely happen if you overclock on your board no, but it could. Additionally, the Fx 6300 when overclocked is a more demanding chip then the 955 Be is on the power phase section of the board, which is what failed on both of mine. Msi has been known to have weak power sections of their AMD boards.

So I know what prices I'm looking at.. what motherboard would be best for overclocking?

Keeping in mind that I would like to upgrade my CPU to an 8-core in the future. Not anytime soon, but I'd like to be ready for it. Is the ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX a good one?

The Sabertooth is highly recommended, if it's in your budget then go for it.
Something like a 990FXA-UD3 R5 could save you some cash and still be a solid board though.

So I know what prices I'm looking at.. what motherboard would be best for overclocking?

Keeping in mind that I would like to upgrade my CPU to an 8-core in the future. Not anytime soon, but I'd like to be ready for it. Is the ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH 990FX a good one?

If you want to upgrade to an FX 8xxx and push it hard, go no less than the Sabertooth.

The new R5 Gigabyte board seems solid enough but it's not the absolute best.
Here's a mini review on the 990FXA-UD5 R5: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/765208-Gigabyte-GA-990FXA-UD5-R5-mini-review

The Sabertooth is highly recommended, if it's in your budget then go for it.
Something like a 990FXA-UD3 R5 could save you some cash and still be a solid board though.
Well, if I don't upgrade my GPU than I think I could afford the Sabertooth. Not now, but perhaps around Christmas.

Back