• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the market for a new router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokers_greg

Hey guys, I can't pretend like I know much about networking so I'm sorry if I come across as a noob here. I'm in the process of building my friend a new rig, and he decided he also wants to get a new 802.11n router. I'll have to verify model # and whatnot, but he has a modem/router (all-in-one sort of thing) as well. We wants to connect that modem/router to a new wireless N router which will be broadcasting the LAN signal downstairs, while the modem/router broadcasts upstairs.

Firstly, How can this be done, and does it require certain models?
Secondly, which wireless N router should I buy, keeping these priorities in order:
1)signal strength
2)signal reliability
3)speed

Lastly, if the above set-up can be done, can the two routers be connected via wireless signal? or do they have to be wired.

Thanks for your time.

Cool thanks guys, I just came across the wikipedia article a couple of minutes ago.
I dont think the DGL has DD-WRT capabillities according to this site: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys

In short, what are the advantages of DD-wrt (especially for casual home networking use) He'll have his PS3/printer connected via wire to the router/modem and his main PC connected to the new router. He has two laptops that need to be able to access wifi at all points in his house

One of the advantages of DD-WRT is that it gives him/you more control and "tweakability"..lol over the router itself. You could tweak the singal strength, limit bandwidth to certain IP's, and a boat load of other goodies...

As far as running 2 routers..of cousre the 1st modem/router will be giving out the IP's DHCP...Router number 2 the one for downstairs should have DHCP turned off and could be used as Access Point to provide a wireless signal downstairs..if you leave DHCP on it would both try to give out IPS and that wouldn't be good...

For your special problem, DD-WRT means it has WDS support by default on all supported models, and the same type of WDS too.

This is a fairly advanced setup you're asking for. Much of the simple advice you get on this wouldn't work.

You have a self-contradiction when you ask for draft-n, and a wireless connection to an existing modem/router -- the existing modem/router is presumably standard-g, so the new router would only be able to use standard-g to connect to it.

Your best bet is plain old wire -- if you can run a wire between the modem/router and the other floor, then you'll have a solid, fast connection between the two points, and have a broad choice of devices and wireless options.

If you can't run wire, then you're into the "advanced" setup, and running into wireless setup, compatibility, crowding and performance issues. Draft-n will mean a minimum of two new devices, and getting into the bleeding edge. DD-WRT is great, but its support for new draft-n routers is not that great.

To keep it simple, flexible, and with very good wireless I suggest starting/sticking with standard-g. Again, this is if you can't run a wire down. You're going to be limited to standard-g for your first connection to the existing router anyways, and the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has better wireless performance than most devices because of its built-in signal amplifier. This router will also run DD-WRT.

So, e.g. with the Buffalo (or e.g. a Linksys WRT310N if you insist on draft-n), you:

1. Find the compatible DD-WRT version
2. Install (flash) DD-WRT on it, carefully following the instructions including the waiting and resetting, etc.
3. Set it up in client bridge mode, again carefully following the instructions to
connect it wirelessly to the main router/modem.
4. Change its configuration to repeater bridge mode.
5. Add a virtual interface for the "repeated" wireless network.
6. Send yourself a certificate of network uberness if you got this far.

You could bridge using draft-n as follows:

Get 2 draft-n devices, at least one compatible with DD-WRT (check the hardware compatibility list carefully, and ensure that both the model and hardware revision of the desired router are supported). Set one up as the router or as a supplementary access point connected to the main router, and the second one as a wireless bridge/repeater just as the above.

This is a fairly advanced setup you're asking for. Much of the simple advice you get on this wouldn't work.

You have a self-contradiction when you ask for draft-n, and a wireless connection to an existing modem/router -- the existing modem/router is presumably standard-g, so the new router would only be able to use standard-g to connect to it.

Your best bet is plain old wire -- if you can run a wire between the modem/router and the other floor, then you'll have a solid, fast connection between the two points, and have a broad choice of devices and wireless options.

If you can't run wire, then you're into the "advanced" setup, and running into wireless setup, compatibility, crowding and performance issues. Draft-n will mean a minimum of two new devices, and getting into the bleeding edge. DD-WRT is great, but its support for new draft-n routers is not that great.

To keep it simple, flexible, and with very good wireless I suggest starting/sticking with standard-g. Again, this is if you can't run a wire down. You're going to be limited to standard-g for your first connection to the existing router anyways, and the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has better wireless performance than most devices because of its built-in signal amplifier. This router will also run DD-WRT.

So, e.g. with the Buffalo (or e.g. a Linksys WRT310N if you insist on draft-n), you:

1. Find the compatible DD-WRT version
2. Install (flash) DD-WRT on it, carefully following the instructions including the waiting and resetting, etc.
3. Set it up in client bridge mode, again carefully following the instructions to
connect it wirelessly to the main router/modem.
4. Change its configuration to repeater bridge mode.
5. Add a virtual interface for the "repeated" wireless network.
6. Send yourself a certificate of network uberness if you got this far.

You could bridge using draft-n as follows:

Get 2 draft-n devices, at least one compatible with DD-WRT (check the hardware compatibility list carefully, and ensure that both the model and hardware revision of the desired router are supported). Set one up as the router or as a supplementary access point connected to the main router, and the second one as a wireless bridge/repeater just as the above.

Thanks very much, that explains a lot. Yeah I should've thought about that first, its only logical that the speed will be limited by the first router, so it looks like a wired connection will be the way to go. I'll have to read into DD-WRT a little more, but it looks like a very handy program!

I'll have a look at the two routers you recommended as well. Thanks again for your time, I'll keep you guys up to date on how the whole setup goes, we should start working on it in the coming weeks.

I've found success with the WRT54GL using the Tomato firmware. Flashing it with Tomato is easy, and setting up the WDS is too. I've set these up in a few large homes where people have had computers setup on opposite corners and ends of the home, which i found funny. It's as if these couples are unconsciously trying to get as far away from each other as they can without leaving the house. lol

Last edited:
Back