• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Individual Sticks or Memory Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Hello everyone,

Looking around at components for a near-future Haswell build and have a RAM question for you guys.

Here is the RAM I am looking at:

2 individual sticks @ 8GB each

The 16GB kit

Looking at that RAM, I found it is cheaper to buy the 2 individual 8GB sticks ($133.98) than to buy the exact same 16GB kit ($145.99). Any advantage/disadvantage over the other other than one being cheaper? The 16GB kit is currently out of stock is why I ask.

I do not plan to overclock the RAM. Of course I know the motherboard must be able to support the 1.35v.

Thanks in advance!

From what I've seen in google searches it looks like the performance gain is generally negligible.

Wikipedia said:
There have been varying reports as to the performance increase of dual-channel configurations, with some tests citing significant performance gains while others suggest almost no gain.

Tom's Hardware found little significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and gaming benchmarks (using a "modern (2007)" system setup). In its tests, dual channel gave at best a 5% speed increase in memory-intensive tasks.

It'll still run in dual channel, buying individual sticks doesn't change that.

When you buy sticks as a kit, that means they were tested together. Single sticks are only tested individually. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm sure you can find cheaper RAM elsewhere with the same specs (except 1.5V) though. I payed $100 flat for that exact same kit at the beginning of the summer.

The point of buying a set is to make sure you get the same IC's on all the sticks.

It should run if they are different, though.

There are probably only 2 Micron IC used in these kits and both have about the same specification so no matter if you get single sticks or kit of 2 , it should run exactly the same.
It's actually pretty nice memory. Expensive but nice :) ... I even made a review of them some time ago -> http://www.overclockers.com/crucial-ballistix-tactical-lp-16-gb-ddr3-1600-review

Woomack, I read your review a few days ago and you're the reason I want to get this memory. :thup: Thanks for writing such a great review! :ty:

I chatted with John on Crucial's website today, and asked him the same question I asked here. Below is his answer to my question:

John : Yes, you get a performance gain out of a kitted pair.

John : Not sure how else to answer that. Kitted pair works better than non kitted pair.

Honestly, I've always thought this was all just a bunch of marketing hype. IF there is a performance gain using a kit over a non-kit, it would be interesting to see how much so. Maybe something to consider in future RAM reviews? :shrug:

Anyway, thanks again for your review!

Back