• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Initial tests on 1800 Tbred A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Meth

Registered
Hello all. A long time lurker here finally deciding to post. Just added a new horse to my stable today so I figured it was a good time to join. :D I jumped all over this chip after reading a few things about it and wanted to share my own trials and tribulations.

Anyhow- got a new 1800 Tbred from newegg. Its a AIUGA week 42 greenie. Definately Tbred "A"-- no surprise there. This replaced a Tbird@1350. I have a 8k3a+ mobo and crucial pc2100 that works nicely up to 170fsb :cool:

So after drooling over the chip for a few minutes I pop it in my rig to see what kind of havoc I can cause. Disclaimer- I have ****ty cooling at the moment. I am currently using a very basic copper cooler from Vantec? I think. It looks like something you would find in a 1U server (think tiny). Still putting together my homemade water setup so it has to do for the time being.

So I boot up at the stock 1.53Gz just to make sure things are ok. 2K loads ok, yada yada. Temp is being reported as 85C :mad: by the USDM. I know this is a prob on this Epox board so I dont get too excited about it. Currently using a bios dated 8/12, but will flash to the new B01 bios shortly to see if that changes anything.

So I decide to cut the foreplay and get right down to business. I hop into the bios and decide to either go big or go home. I set it at 12x166 (2ghz) and goose the voltage up to 1.75. Reboot. Nothing at all- no post. :( I didnt figure that was going to fly, but I had to try.

NOTE: on my 8k3a+ (kt333) I show mults up to 15!! havent tried anything past 12, but I assume these would work if one were so inclined. Up til now, my understanding was that 12.5 would be as high as I would see.

Back to the mad OC. I jump down to 11x166. Mr Oda reports this as 1833Mhz (2200+). Rock stable. Kept the voltage at 1.75 for this. Looping 3dmark as I speak. Remember- this is with very ****ty cooling.

I am sure there is more in the chip- heat is my only enemy at this point. I would like to add a tally to the "easy 2gig" column for this cpu. It kicks ***- nuff said. Anyone who buys a 1600+ palo is a fool. 1800Mhz would be a very very nice oc for that particular chip and the tbred does it with ease. Go with a tbred and youll thank me later.

As has been previously speculated, I'm guessing the 1700 and 1800 tbreds are 2200s that didnt make the cut. Missing the cut at 1.65v and OCing at 2.0 volts are two totally different stories tho. :D I am sure with a modest water setup, these particular chips probably max out in the 2.2Ghz region. Some peeps with extreme cooling have reported higher, but for those with simple water, that is what I would expect out of the proc.

I am going to throw it out in the Montana winter air tonight to see if I can do better "on air". As the man in the desert would say- "I.. . .need. .. .waaattterr!"

Mr. Meth said:
I am sure with a modest water setup, these particular chips probably max out in the 2.2Ghz region. Some peeps with extreme cooling have reported higher, but for those with simple water, that is what I would expect out of the proc.

Yes, with tons of cold (COLD) air was able to hit 2178mhz with 2.00v

Some thing seems to happen with this revision code/core after 2ghz, requires A LOT more voltage to achieve even a little more clock speed.

Glad to have you aboard, welcome!

Dont get me wrong- the 1600s are still fabulous for fifty bucks. If you have one of these, I wouldnt sweat a upgrade until Barton. For those buying a "value" cpu now- go tbred 1800.

Well, I have both the AGOIA Y 1600 and the AROIA 9 1600. Both chips overclock like mad. i plan on putting them into a dual board. They run cooler than the t-bred A's.

I got a 1700 tbred and ran it at 1.84 volts at 45-46 under full load.

setting was 180x10 stable as hell. Try to go to 10.5 x180....boots, but freezes in prime 95.

Narrowed it down to the ram being the problem becuae I dropped the volts down to 1.75 at 180x10 and still runs rock stable.

I don't want to set the ram at 2.5 cas so I can't go any farther.

I am using 2700 corsair cas 2 platinum set to cas 2 3 3 5 1t

2 bank.

Just to make sure, 1t and 2 bank are the best settings, right?

Tbred vs XP

Well thanks Meth. I just registered to ask this exact question. The extra 15 bucks the Tbred costs over the 1600 doesn't bother me if it will get me a hundred or so Mhz more. So you all think on average this thing will hit 2gigs with 1.75v with an SKL800 with Volcano fan? Keep in mind this is Florida even though it's winter. It was 74F today :mad: . I heard the Tbreds run pretty hot, so I figured even if I could get a little bit more out of it over the XP the fact that it ran cooler would let me up the Voltage a bit more and make up for it.

Ram

That last post reminded me, don't know if this is the right place, but I have looked everywhere for ram settings on the Abit boards. Nobody on [H] is hard enough to answer these kinda questions, so I'm hoping to find some experience here. The only place that gets any run over there anymore is the VidCard forum where the morons go at it. HELP!! :D And while I'm at it. I looked on the front page and they had some nice beginner FAQs but I'm not really a beginner when it comes to hardware or overclocking, but I'm a real n00b with water cooling, so if anyone has some guides for that type of thing I'd really appreciate it.

lqtech-- I dont know if I will be able to tell you anything you dont already regarding ram timings, but I will give it my best shot.

Obviously, lower numbers are good.:D

The CAS (column Address Strobe) is the most important. This is essenitially how fast the ram can check what is stored on itself. 2 is the best, 2.5 is your other option. Makes a huge difference. A hypothetical system with cas2 fsb 160 will most likely be faster than a system cas 2.5 fsb 166 all other things being equal. Personally, I use pc2100 at 166fsb so cas 2.5 is what I am stuck with.

There are many other numbers associated with ram timings such as RAS (row address strobe) and precharge timings. I dont really worry about those too much. Besides CAS, the ones that make the most difference IMO are bank interleaving, fast Read/Write turnaround, and write recovery time.

Bank interleaving is similiar in concept to the crossbar memory controller on Geforce cards. It allows the system to pull information from the memory in a more efficient manner by assigning "virtual" banks to the ram. Fast R/W turnarounds are just that- the memory just moves quicker in between operations. Recovery time is how long the system waits before attempting to refresh information on the chips.

Many of these settings are standardized by global settings like "turbo" or "fast", but if you can it is better to manually control them. Bumping up any one of these can lead to sudden instability, so be sure to have the rest of your system tweaked nicely before adjusting these. That way, you will be able to pinpoint the limits of your particular ram.

On watercooling- just read every article and review that you can find on the subject and look at lots of pics and you will get a good idea of whats going on. Its really fairly easy. My biggest problem is that I am poor and it does cost some cash, even if you DIY. After playing around with some raw copper, I can say that is worth plunking down the 40-60 for a good waterblock. Making your own is a pain in the *** unless you have access to a school lathe or something.

Hope some of this helps. :cool:

Thanks for the help Meth. The abit board has some bios settings I don't think I'll ever figure out, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Heh. I must just get lucky with the greenies. I have had 2 palomino 1800 greenies and now this tbred greenie. It sounds like they are still not nearly as common as the poop brown ones.

Whats strange is that Emericana, you and I have the exact same chip.. AIUGA week 42. Does AMD have little elves that come in at night and randomly color the chips? I am hoping to have the same kind of luck you have had with OCing, but I cant help but wonder if there are some manufacturing differences via the different packaging.

On the pics-- I dont especially want to pull it out just for that... I am always second guessing my perfection AS3 apps as it is. :p If I get my h2o up soon I will post a pic.

ANYONE else out there have a green tbred????

Re: Ram

Iqtech said:
That last post reminded me, don't know if this is the right place, but I have looked everywhere for ram settings on the Abit boards. Nobody on [H] is hard enough to answer these kinda questions, so I'm hoping to find some experience here. The only place that gets any run over there anymore is the VidCard forum where the morons go at it. HELP!! :D And while I'm at it. I looked on the front page and they had some nice beginner FAQs but I'm not really a beginner when it comes to hardware or overclocking, but I'm a real n00b with water cooling, so if anyone has some guides for that type of thing I'd really appreciate it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Glad to have you aboard. The watercooling forum here just rocks. PERIOD. good begginer guides, and plenty of way experienced folks when you got questions. The amd abit board has some long time abit folks that can make the abit bios stand on its head and do circles, try asking a specific question there.

I also find most of my questions answered by doing a search of prior posts.

GOOD LUCK!

1800 Tbred aiuga unknown week.

I just purchesed the 1800 tbred aiuga core and it is a browny. I had installed it without checking the week code. This thing kicks ***. I have mine currently at 167 X 11 = 1.84ghz with vcore set to 1.575 and a Vantec CCK-6027D copper cooler and my temps are 34C after an hour of benchmarking. I don't see having to run this at vcore of 1.7v either to get to 2ghz. I am going to let it burn in for a few days first before I go for broke. I am running it on a MSI KT3Ultra2. This is the new low-cost OC demon IMHO.

Back