• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignazpwns

So i picked one up thought i'll give it a try with the new loop.

Now im to lazy to move my pc so i just put a tiny little dab of NT-H1 at the very top edge of the ihs. Not really anything. just a little light smear at the edge to keep the pad on the ihs why i mount my block.

Just played some wow 4.35ghz 1.35v typical oc for the higher binned 3900x's and depending on what program because they all are close at times then way off. Ryzen Master 59c after 2 hours of wow. So not to bad. Also pretty happy with all the new Corsair hydro x stuff. the Corsair commander for some reason wont push the d5 to 100%. i only keep it around 50 but for the first few hours i keep it at 100 to push air out so i plugged it into my mobo and just using that. probably doing something wrong with the corsair commander so ill get that sorted out another time.

But those pads work pretty good. May not be the best but if you been thinking about one give it a shot.

Looking at tech reviews on YouTube the consensus is that they perform around the same as mid level thermal paste. Obviously they cost more than mid level thermal paste but last longer.

Something like Kryonaut will obviously out perform it.

Looking at tech reviews on YouTube the consensus is that they perform around the same as mid level thermal paste. Obviously they cost more than mid level thermal paste but last longer.

Something like Kryonaut will obviously out perform it.

From what I seen on normal cpu's they perform pretty close so some of the higher paste. A few people on YouTube who don't really have the knowledge to understand how it's working. Some people who say use liquid metal and they don't know it reacts with hydrogen and what's in air? That's why you use it you remove the heatsink or block and it's reacted.

Now knowing how these work. That's why I'm using it a Ryzen 9 and pretty happy. The chiplets being offset on the Ryzen 9 the carbon pads radiate the heat out. This on aper should help move those focused heat spots from the 7nm chiplets out. Most waterblocks and heatsinks were designed for the heatload to be in the center. So having it offset this should help spread it out onto the waterblocks more and help tame the 3 focused spots on the 3900x.

That being said I would not use it on something like an i9, 2700x or anything like that. Mainly I'm interested in using the properties of the material to there advantage. Spreading out the heatload over the full block.

I got a few past here. Just common stuff and it's to early to say for sure but it's not bad. I need to get use to this new loop and do some actual testing but if I didn't know there was a pad there I honestly wouldn't think anything of it

I got some Noctua NT-H1, AS5 and what not. Ill be testing it all on a Ryzen 3900x to see if the pads help with the offset chiplets and if so by how much. This will help when the 3950x comes out.

There is some science in my logic. So there is a benefit to using this over highend paste. But will that advantage help with the overall temps? Well I'll find out when I do more testing because I gotta good amount of water I gotta heat soak. But the Corsair pump has a probe and it works pretty good. But if it can transfer heat to the heatsink on par with mid end paste. But at the same time spread that heat hour more so it's not as focused and get more of that heat on more pipes and more micro fins. It may be on par with highend paste. But this logic is only for Ryzen's with the offset chiplets.

Side note at work I was using a pretty expensive thermal camera around a $10,000 camera. And looking as some cold plates on the 3900x I could clearly see the 2 chiplets. So I'll take some pictures of that with and without paste and with a pad.

But no one has really explored the pads on the new Ryzens when this should be the ideal CPU for them in terms of maximum performance from the pad. I'm not really looking to see a huge drop in temps very highend paste. Just be on par with highend paste on a 3900x. I'll do a big post with a bunch of data. I got flukes that can do logging and I'll uploads the logs I just gotta check and see when I can get a weekend on a test cell. That way it's in a fully controlled test environment. I work in the semiconductor industry so I have access to a lot of stuff and I was looking for some carbon nanotube paste from 3M when o remembered they had pads and figured I would test them out.

I am using one and haven't noticed any issues. I haven't directly compared it to paste personally. I have enjoyed how easy it makes working on my PC if I have to remove the CPU cooler. They have a great amount of thermal conductivity across the sheet so with multiple chiplets on ryzen I assume they will potential help moderate hot spots?

So i have to do some more testing but the first round of test looks good.

Load under prime 95 3900x @ 4.3ghz

Noctua NT-H1 65c
IC Graphite Thermal Pad 61c

Just early results but based on how software tends to take the highest temp and report it as the overall temp it seems the graphite pad is doing its job at spreading out those 2 hot spots from the chiplets. Not many factors could play a role. When i looked i had a really nice application of the NT-H1 but maybe it was not optimal. So at the worst from early results on a Ryzen 9 its capable of keeping up with highend paste at best it can cool 4c better.

Thermal Conductivity 35 W/m-K on the pad vs 12.5 for the NT-H1. Now if my memory is right. This is what will explain the -4c drop. The carbon pads are 800+ W/m-K on the X and Y axis. Meaning it will wick heat away from those cores. This is what i was interested in on a Ryzen 9. Im going to do more testing but as of right now from the results i seen i'll be sticking with the pad and i'll be using one on my 3950x when i get that.

So based on my numbers and early results. For a Ryzen 9 the pads ability to transfer heat out in the x and y axis at over 800W/m-K puts it on par with Liquid metal or better. The conductivity on the x and y is the secret sauce. Im going to do more testing on this and see if i can get consistent -4c numbers or better.

Just early results but based on how software tends to take the highest temp and report it as the overall temp it seems the graphite pad is doing its job at spreading out those 2 hot spots from the chiplets. Not many factors could play a role. When i looked i had a really nice application of the NT-H1 but maybe it was not optimal. So at the worst from early results on a Ryzen 9 its capable of keeping up with highend paste at best it can cool 4c better.

Another advantage of the pads is the consistency. As long as you put it on, it will be a good application whereas with paste too much or too little can have adverse effects.

So i have to do some more testing but the first round of test looks good.

Load under prime 95 3900x @ 4.3ghz

Noctua NT-H1 65c
IC Graphite Thermal Pad 61c myprepaidbalance

Thermal Conductivity 35 W/m-K on the pad vs 12.5 for the NT-H1. Now if my memory is right. This is what will explain the -4c drop. The carbon pads are 800+ W/m-K on the X and Y axis. Meaning it will wick heat away from those cores. This is what i was interested in on a Ryzen 9. Im going to do more testing but as of right now from the results i seen i'll be sticking with the pad and i'll be using one on my 3950x when i get that.

So based on my numbers and early results. For a Ryzen 9 the pads ability to transfer heat out in the x and y axis at over 800W/m-K puts it on par with Liquid metal or better. The conductivity on the x and y is the secret sauce. Im going to do more testing on this and see if i can get consistent -4c numbers or better.

A few people on YouTube who don't really have the knowledge to understand how it's working. Some people who say use liquid metal and they don't know it reacts with hydrogen and what's in air? That's why you use it you remove the heatsink or block and it's reacted.

Now knowing how these work. That's why I'm using it a Ryzen 9 and pretty happy. The chiplets being offset on the Ryzen 9 the carbon pads radiate the heat out. This on aper should help move those focused heat spots from the 7nm chiplets out. Most waterblocks and heatsinks were designed for the heatload to be in the center. So having it offset this should help spread it out onto the waterblocks more and help tame the 3 focused spots on the 3900x.

That being said I would not use it on something like an i9, 2700x or anything like that. Mainly I'm interested in using the properties of the material to there advantage. Spreading out the heatload over the full block.

I got a few past here. Just common stuff and it's to early to say for sure but it's not bad. I need to get use to this new loop and do some actual testing but if I didn't know there was a pad there I honestly wouldn't think anything of it

I got some Noctua NT-H1, AS5 and what not. Ill be testing it all on a Ryzen 3900x to see if the pads help with the offset chiplets and if so by how much. This will help when the 3950x comes out.

. . . Most waterblocks and heatsinks were designed for the heatload to be in the center. . . .
This is true, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

I have handled some heatsinks, and I find their heatpipes lie side by side. The most obvious examples are the direct contact type, but even when the heatpipes are enclosed they lie side by side. Which means that if the sources of heat are spread out, the hot spots are covered by heatpipes. In a way, having the sources of heat located elsewhere than the center allows for more of the heatpipes to participate in carrying off the heat produced by the multiple cores.

This is true, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

I have handled some heatsinks, and I find their heatpipes lie side by side. The most obvious examples are the direct contact type, but even when the heatpipes are enclosed they lie side by side. Which means that if the sources of heat are spread out, the hot spots are covered by heatpipes. In a way, having the sources of heat located elsewhere than the center allows for more of the heatpipes to participate in carrying off the heat produced by the multiple cores.

It is. Some are just better then other by having more heatpipes. You get some with 2-3 heat pipes they wont. Something like 4-6 yeah they will. Most waterblocks the micro fins dont go out far enough to cover the chaplets and the io die. Ryzens are really spread out. Not like threadripper but more like a baby threadripper now. But coolers like the Dark Rock 4 pro are great and get pipes over everything,

I guess i could of reworded it. Most lowerend heatsinks and most waterblocks. When picking a waterblock for this system i use photoship with a pic of a delidded 3900x in a socket on a mobo. Then sized that and the waterblock and made the waterblock a little transparent so i could see where the chiplets end up on the block.

I have one sitting here on my desk just haven't had time to put it on. Not sure how it will fare compared to Geild GC Extreme. Maybe this weekend Ill rip a few Blu-Ray movies and run them through for a comparison Put my settings on Should give me 4 or 5 hours of HEAVY use and should make a good comparison.

OK so I ran 3 disks through last night with BD Rebuilder (X264) and it took 3 hours to complete with the highest settings.

X3900 - X570 ASROCK Taichi
Thermal Paste used was GElid GC Extreme

Room ambient temp was 75*C at start and the highest CPU temp I reached in that time frame was ….. 74*C

I just switched over to the IC Graphite Thermal Pad Installed using 4 small smears of paste on the 4 corners.

Room Ambieant is 74.7*C at start and the Highest CPU Temp reached was ….. 77.1*C

EDIT #1

About halfway through the run I am currently running 77.1*C as measured by HWINFO 64. So at this point I am 3*C higher in temps then with Gelid GC Extreme.

EDIT# 2

So I reset my min / max temp record and highest temp for the second half was 75.9*C

For me on this one test I got temps at least 2*C higher with the IC Graphite pad compared to Gelid GC Extreme thermal paste

Last edited:
Back