• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovative MMO's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just read an article in pc gamer about warhammer 40k and they were talking about this very subject. They are designing their new mmo to not look like, act, and in some ways play like a current day mmo. They didn't get into much detail but I know they are doing away with the hotbar and doing quests a little different, I.e. there will not be space marines killing 20 wolves for their pelts lol.

I just read an article in pc gamer about warhammer 40k and they were talking about this very subject. They are designing their new mmo to not look like, act, and in some ways play like a current day mmo. They didn't get into much detail but I know they are doing away with the hotbar and doing quests a little different, I.e. there will not be space marines killing 20 wolves for their pelts lol.

Pretty much every MMO says the same thing, but they all end up being the same, with few exception. Or they fail. So forgive me for being a bit skeptical :p

Pretty much every MMO says the same thing, but they all end up being the same, with few exception. Or they fail. So forgive me for being a bit skeptical :p

Yeah but its nice to see a company look outside the box and try something new. Otherwise we'll have 80 expansion packs and lvl 250 in WoW before we know it.

This is the reason I've stopped listening to hype about MMO's. Sure, the devs may think of neat concepts and context that they can explain, but the implementation of them are all the same as before.

Somehow Bioware's TOR has manged to intrigue me and now I'm doing the unthinkable and looking at an MMO again... Must be the combination of Star Wars and Bioware (with good story and voice acting) that gives me hope that this will actually be different to a degree worth talking about.

This is the reason I've stopped listening to hype about MMO's. Sure, the devs may think of neat concepts and context that they can explain, but the implementation of them are all the same as before.

Somehow Bioware's TOR has manged to intrigue me and now I'm doing the unthinkable and looking at an MMO again... Must be the combination of Star Wars and Bioware (with good story and voice acting) that gives me hope that this will actually be different to a degree worth talking about.

My problem is this:

Usually what the devs have in mind is pretty cool. The problem is due to budgets/time constraints etc. corporate cuts out certain idea's and features so the game will be ready. This results in Mediocre mmo's. They really need to put the money up front when the project is started to handle ALL of the costs; rather than allocate a small amount and expect the game to pay for itself half finished.

Everyone compares new MMOs to WoW, when in fact its not fair. WoW had no where near the content and stuff as it does now on luanch day, it was built over 5 years of patching to appeal to all sorts of different kinds of gamers, and continues to change as we speak. I totally agree with you kitten about the budget/time constraints issues affecting the devs ideas/features, it sucks! I mean a new developer producing a new game that would have the same amount of content WoW has would take probably 10 years lol (and it would still need bug patching and tweaks :p).

Last edited:
Everyone compares new MMOs to WoW, when in fact its not fair. WoW had no where near the content and stuff as it does now on luanch day, it was built over 5 years of patching to appeal to all sorts of different kinds of gamers, and continues to change as we speak. I totally agree with you kitten about the budget/time constraints issues affecting the devs ideas/features, it sucks! I mean a new developer producing a new game that would have the same amount of content WoW has would take probably 10 years lol (and it would still need bug patching and tweaks :p).

plus

what really kills me and cracks me up is when people that grew up on WoW or started on wow

say everything tries to be a clone of WoW when new games come out ...

ROTFLMAO

WoW pretty much copied everything from other games before it on release becuase those are the things that WORK and make an MMO playable

the thing WoW / Blizzard did that was smart was make it be able to run on almost any machine so all the kiddies and people with less than stellar computers could play it ... they succeeded so subscriptions boomed

its a fun game i have 5 accounts and multibox it ... but i play a lot of mmos and have been around since MUDs ... heh i have 7 lifetime accounts of LOTRO

and to say other games are WoW clones always cracks me up to no avail

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when Aion came out and everyone was comparing it to WoW at that time (instead of at release). Then I went through everything Aion had and compared it to everything WoW had at release... almost exactly the same amount of content.

But the massive failure was not banning bots/goldsellers/cheating until like 2+ months later.... when the damage was already done and scrubs bought tons of gold to trade it for top end gear and used radar cheats which let them see through stealth.

Always something that every 'hyped mmo' does wrong due to utter stupidity.

I am looking forward to The old republic, Biowares MMO that is on its way, I am guess that will follow more of a style similar to kotr/Mass effect/Dragon age. And hopefully be different enough from WoW.

Wow I could get into that. KOTR/Mass effect are some of my favorite games..

The sucky thing is most MMOs are WoW clones now, practically none have meaningful PvP.. Darkfall online & Eve online are alomost perfect, but I just can't like the Eve control system & Darkfall I quit around a year ago because of the grind, the crap UI & the huge empty world.

The sucky thing is most MMOs are WoW clones now, practically none have meaningful PvP.. Darkfall online & Eve online are alomost perfect, but I just can't like the Eve control system & Darkfall I quit around a year ago because of the grind, the crap UI & the huge empty world.

As a fan of old school Ultima I agree. PVP then was meaningful, if you screwed up you lost everything you were carrying.

Problem: Nearly 90% of the mmo populace has played WoW. Making something "hardcore" won't exactly work in today's market =/

I think it could, but only if you target the hardcore MMO players directly. Let them know "Hey, stop being a wuss and get off WoW. Check out this if you're man enough."

I played WoW for nearly two years before I started to feel very repetitive in what I was doing. Being the huge scifi nerd that I am, I tried EVE, but I just didn't click with that game. That being said, however, I want to try it again now, to see if I like it more. Anyway, the game that I picked up was Star Trek Online. I love Star Trek, so I figured, "Hey, why not?" In all honesty, I found it to be really fun, mostly because it has both space and ground combat, unlike EVE. Plus it's only $10/month.

One of the main reasons I still play lineage is it has a chaos/law system that comes into play for pvp. Max law you can't drop any items if killed. Any less though and you're liable to drop anything in your inventory including worn gear. Honestly with an endgame that could take you up to 6 months to even reach I think Lin wins the hardcore award. :D

So I figured I would post a funny story from one of my MMO's. I was hunting with my wife and somebody attempted to PK her (she's a lower level and my character is VERY strong) I nuked that guy, and since he had not attacked me I gained a murderer tag. Right after I dropped him a chaos/pk mage pops out of hiding and starts railing me with spells. I dashed up and ended him fast while insulting him for picking on newbies and then biting off more than he could chew.

In this game pvp is pretty open, but if you kill more than 10 people and you die, you go to hell in game. When your a murderer/chaotic you can and will drop gear you are wearing. The way hell works is it's full of in game bosses that drop no loot. You basically have to die as many times as you've killed people. Each boss defeat removes a single kill, and each death does also. In this game one death at a high level can set you back up to 10 hours of hunting/grinding time. This pk had almost 72 kills and 4 days later is still being nuked in hell and has lost 2 levels and some gear.

I love neat systems like this. It's a huge penalty, but it only affects people who actively seek out and pk/murder others. I also enjoy the fact that on the flip side you can use teamwork/tactics for some brutal pvp, but as stated above the penalties for screwing up are huge.

It's kind of cool, because usually when someone gets killed in a zone they call in reinforcements and go back. Usually within 2 minutes the place has become a giant battlefield. I also agree with the teleport system and escape scrolls in game, hit a button when in trouble and return to town - if your current zone allows it. (by the time you are strong enough to enter no escape zones, you know what they are)

It's Lineage, I just don't want to sit here plugging games, even though there aren't really that many quality MMO's in existence. I re-visited Ultima recently and I just can't play it. If they would open a classic UO server I would go back and just live there until it died lol.

Back