• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwoTone

Registered
It's been a long time since I've been on here.

I currently have a loop for my GPU I created using EK-KIT L360. I also have a Corsair AIO for my CPU.

I'm getting ready to do some maintenance and was wondering if I can use the 360 for both GPU and CPU? If it's possible I'd upgrade the reservoir to a 204mm tube.

CPU: I7 5820k slightly overclocked
GPU: R9 Fury stock speed.

This is the current setup:
20160217_122535.jpg

general rule 120 mm rad space per part and 2x 120mm for each overclocked piece .
As said above if not overclocked it will be fine , with some overclock (avg temp) , for advanced overclock temp will be not as good as for water cooling .

Thanks.

One other question. Right now the front pulls in and the top and rear exhaust.

To prevent the top from using the hot case air, do you think one rear exhaust fan would be enough if both the top and front where pulling in fresh air?

could you setup you front as exhaust too ? this will create a negative pressure , but it still always better than using hot air from front rad to cool upper rad .

I'd focus on airFLOW. Yes, cpu temps will be slightly lower when taking fresh air in the top, but with proper airFLOW, it wont be an issue. I'd still run front/sides as intake with the top/rear exhaust. You arent looking to break records or anything and this will help keep internals cool as well, including the video card and mobo.

Other concerns/considerations would be how you plan to integrate all of it into a single loop. Including either of those AIO pieces into your EK loop could prove problematic. Most of the simpler (non-expandable) AIO kits use 1/4" tubing and the nipples on the rad and block/pump are built-in, which generally becomes a choke point for flow rates if you try to include them into a larger custom loop. You would also have to be more selective with your coolant mix to prevent galvanic corrosion, since the rad is most likely aluminum.

At best, you could put splitters at/after the output of your pump and at/before the intake of the rad, putting the GPU block with 3/8 tubing and AIO pump/block with 1/4 tubing in parallel with each other, but I would shy away from including that rad from the AIO.

I'm getting ready to do some maintenance and was wondering if I can use the 360 for both GPU and CPU? If it's possible I'd upgrade the reservoir to a 204mm tube.
What do you mean by "upgrade" the reservoir? Larger reservoirs are really just prettier. OK, it does make filling the system a little easier (the reason you see so many in demos and tests) because it can exchange more coolant/air at a time. It can also compensate for more evaporation and bubble collection between top-offs. However, having more total coolant in the system only means it takes a little longer to stabilize temps. It won't effect your operating temp, once that balance point between absorption and dissipation has been reached. This could easily be the least practical use of money you plan to throw at this system. Plenty of people run loops with no reservoir at all. Your AIO doesn't have one (PS you installed that AIO rad upside down. I realize you didn't have much choice considering the tubing length, but any air bubbles in that loop will circulate into your pump and reduce it's effectiveness with the rad ports oriented towards the top - j/s). If you're after an aesthetic, then I won't begrudge you for it. I just wouldn't call it an "upgrade".

At first I was hoping the EK rad would be enough.

So if I did it now, I'd just add another EK 240 Rad up front.

The larger res was to make fluid changes a little easier.

Thanks for all the input.

if your going the 240 route i would look at one of the hwlab sr2 or gtx rads. theres a 15% off sale along with a 15% off store coupon at ppcs but its only good today! CYBERMON18-15

Back