• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install Windows 11 on unsupported CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Surprised to find out my AMD CPU, ThreadRipper 1950x is NOT officially supported by Microsoft for Windows 11.
But there are many posts and youtube videos suggesting workarounds such as

My question is, is it worth it and if I proceed what types of issues may arise?

I have W11, W10, and RHEL on one of my computers. The biggest change to W11 is the UI and requirement for TPM 2.0(can technically be bypassed). IMO at this stage of the game there really isnt any compelling reason to switch to W11. Im using like 3 3rd party apps to make my W11 install behave the way W10 does, so personally I dont see a point. My personal opinion is that W11 is W10 EOL edition.

That said potential issue are mostly drivers for older equipment not being available/compatible.

+1 to its use over W10 being debatable.

I have it on my desktop since it's supposed to make better use of the efficiency and performance cores in the newer Intel CPUs, but in day to day use I really don't see much difference between it and W10 on my laptops and HTPCs.

Back