• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install Windows XP in correct way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

olga.m

Registered
Hello, dear forum!
My problem maybe is not so complicated.. but i don't have much experience in reinstalling windows (xp) and now i have a doubt that i reinstalled windows xp on my old laptop in correct way. I replaced the old sistem files on disc. And now i see that OC weight 12GB!!! on disc C ( but xp is light sistem) and there is lots of old and destroyed files. I have heard that i need to use special programms to remove all files from computer and only after that i should put new OC files. (for instance dban. But my laptop didnt see the dban files. Maybe somebody can give me advice what programm is better to use for clean computer befor install OC and maybe a little extra steps wich i should do for that.
Thank you!

When you install windows, you have an option to format the disk you are installing to - you want to ensure the disk is a fresh start it sounds like, so that is a fine way of doing it and its fairly straightforward. You don't need to clean the computer before you install the OS, you just want to format the disk.

Thank you! I start to remember that when i was installing the OS, i had the options: formatting FAT ( i think its disc C) by fast and ordinary way. Now i wil try to reinstall and follow your advice. Thanks a lot!

Just FYI: Years ago when I wanted to 'know' how to do somethings precisely, I visisted this site often. The instructions there were usually not about shortcuts but preciseness and generally gave a good why about doing things in order.

Once I knew a good solid how to do a certain thing, then I might learn to do it quickly or know the things that I just did every time by rote memory and moved by rather quickly.

Clean Install Windows XP

Thank you for userfull link! I understand all exception one phrase: "It’s time for that important decision. FAT32 versus NTFS. The preferred choice is NTFS. It allows security features and stability that aren’t possible with FAT32." My disc C has FAT. I really need to change FAT on NTFS (I has disc D in NTFS) or i should left disc C in native FAT? It's complicated to decide.

NTFS is better as you stated," It allows security features and stability that aren’t possible with FAT32". With that said you can do an in place convert to NTFS. Read about it here.

Thank you very much for all your answers!
I did it! And now my xp weight only 1.83GB and running very fast. I will read carefully this articles for to better understand the whole process.
Thanks a lot!

Eventually, when you get familiar with these things, figure out how to

1. Partition your hard drive.
2. Install Windows on a relatively small partition.
3. Set everything up just like you want it to be.
4. Make a drive image of that partition.

That way, when something goes wrong with Windows, you simply reimage the partition from the image file you made when everything was working like you want it - fast and smooth.

The image process can take as little as a few minutes - fresh Windows in just a few minutes.

Thank you! I changed OS for the first time and it was not so easy for me.) But i will follow your advice and i will learn carefully things how to do it and will change OS after a year maximum. I had my old OS for five years)
Thanks for answers! It helped me a lot.

Back