• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Install WinXP on new drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gate4exec

Registered
This one should be easy for you experts to answer.

I have a 10 year old "retail purchased" WinXP that the kids use. The original hard drive has failed. I'd like to replace it, but not sure how to get WinXP OS installed on any new drive that I purchase.
I don't have any Recovery discs or WinXP OS software.
Naturally, I have the Windows product key.
Btw, I have no desire to upgrade to any other Windows OS. I just want WinXP installed on a new hard drive for this old PC.

Any ideas?

Just to clarify. You have a 10 year old OEM unit that the HD failed on. You want to replace the drive but lack an OEM copy of XP, but DO have a valid OEM key. Correct?

FWIW, you can download a retail version ISO and use the Windows product key change tool to use your OEM key.

Last edited:
Just to clarify. You have a 10 year old OEM unit that the HD failed on. You want to replace the drive but lack an OEM copy of XP, but DO have a valid OEM key. Correct?
Yes!

FWIW, you can download a retail version ISO and use the Windows product key change tool to use your OEM key.
Do you have a link with instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!

If you want you can get a cheap OEM disc from the manufacture of the PC.

It's an HP. I'd rather not deal with them, let alone give them any of my money. lol

I don't suppose this sort of thing is easily found for free on the net.

This one should be easy for you experts to answer.

I have a 10 year old "retail purchased" WinXP that the kids use. The original hard drive has failed. I'd like to replace it, but not sure how to get WinXP OS installed on any new drive that I purchase.
I don't have any Recovery discs or WinXP OS software.
Naturally, I have the Windows product key.
Btw, I have no desire to upgrade to any other Windows OS. I just want WinXP installed on a new hard drive for this old PC.

Any ideas?

what do you mean by "retail purchased"? Are you saying that you bought a computer that came with Windows XP or did you buy Windows XP separately.

If the computer came with Windows XP then the Product Key should be on a official Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the computer. If you know the model number of the computer then you can track down a recovery disc for the computer. That will cost money.

Another option is to find someone with a OEM CD with the same version of Windows XP on it. For example, my daughter lost her OEM Windows disk for her Compaq desktop. I just happened to also have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on my HP laptop. I used my HP Windows XP disk to reinstall Windows on her desktop. The problem was that the installation of Windows on her computer now had the same Product Key as my laptop. I used a program I had to change the Product Key on her computer to the one that was on the sticker on her computer.

what do you mean by "retail purchased"? Are you saying that you bought a computer that came with Windows XP or did you buy Windows XP separately.

If the computer came with Windows XP then the Product Key should be on a official Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the computer. If you know the model number of the computer then you can track down a recovery disc for the computer. That will cost money.

Another option is to find someone with a OEM CD with the same version of Windows XP on it. For example, my daughter lost her OEM Windows disk for her Compaq desktop. I just happened to also have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on my HP laptop. I used my HP Windows XP disk to reinstall Windows on her desktop. The problem was that the installation of Windows on her computer now had the same Product Key as my laptop. I used a program I had to change the Product Key on her computer to the one that was on the sticker on her computer.
"Retail purchased" meaning I bought the PC at Best Buy. PC came with WinXP Home. I see the sticker on the tower that has the product key. I called HP yesterday and the guy in India laughed at me when I said it was 10 years old. He said just go buy WinXP software at the store. Obviously I have no interest in spending any money, or as little as possible. I just found a 3rd party vendor that offers the 10 disc recovery set for $31. Might just do that, but then it comes with all of the crapware that the PC originally shipped with.

"Retail purchased" meaning I bought the PC at Best Buy. PC came with WinXP Home. I see the sticker on the tower that has the product key. I called HP yesterday and the guy in India laughed at me when I said it was 10 years old. He said just go buy WinXP software at the store. Obviously I have no interest in spending any money, or as little as possible. I just found a 3rd party vendor that offers the 10 disc recovery set for $31. Might just do that, but then it comes with all of the crapware that the PC originally shipped with.

The Indian guy laughing made me laugh.

Go with what Mr.Scott said, Microsoft provides ISO's for Windows, but not sure if XP is on their list anymore though.

Back