• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed m.2 drive without stand off but it is screwed down tight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I didn't know you were supposed to use standoffs under an m.2 drive screw. But my two m.2 ssd drives are tightened down to the motherboard and they are working fine. Is this ok?

Last edited:
Yikes. Put the standoff on, bud. If only to prevent a potential premature death (tension on PCB that shouldn't be there).

Don't forget to update your signature with your new parts. ;)

If you don't have a standoff then put something under the SSD, like a thin rubber or foam (some motherboards or laptops have a thick thermal pad and no standoff). As ED said, there shouldn't be too much pressure or it may cause some issues in the future.

I don't have any experience with M.2 drives but not using standoffs could lead to problems like short from M.2 to the MB.
I remember someone telling me they installed a MB with out standoffs and wondered why it was not working :rofl: As well as what Earthdog said.

Back