• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Coolaboraory LIQUID MetalPad on my laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trottel

I just got a metal pad in the mail sized for a PS3 or XBox 360, which when cut to size is more than enough for my CPU, GPU, and NB. It requires heating to at least 58*C to get the metal to melt and conduct heat effectively. My only worry is how can I make sure that the pad I put on the north bridge gets hot enough? It is really easy to control the fan speed and get the CPU and GPU temperatures to skyrocket. I was thinking maybe turning off the discrete GPU and running 3dmark on the integrated graphics could do the trick. The problem is that I can't monitor the north bridge temperature like I can the GPU and CPU temps. I also only get one shot at it working, otherwise the metal pads on the CPU and GPU get wasted too.

While you have the laptop open could you use a heatgun to help set these things? They get pretty hot and should do the trick without frying anything else. This is just speculation mind you I've never tried it myself.

Back