• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing older software on Win XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I'm trying to install an older copy of WordPerfect onto my dad's comp which he recently upgraded to WIn XP. BUt my problem is is that there's a pop up showing up when i try to install saying the program needs win 95/98 to run.

Is there any way I can install it? I know that i can use that WIn 98 emulation type thing once an older program is installed on Win XP, but in this case it won't let me install it.... Is he screwed or is there a work around for this?

I still use Photodeluxe 2.0.It give the same message if you try to install from autorun.I just right click and explore and doble click the installer or exe,not sure which worked as it has been awhile since I had to format.It runs fine but deals with memory and pagefile differently.It took some tweaking of my pagefiles before I could get around the out of memory error.

Yeah, normally if its Win9x compliant, the autorun feature for the cd will just give you the Windows 95/98 error. However, most of them still allow the use of setup.exe or whatever executable the autorun starts to install the program. If you are still having problems, have you tried looking at the Microsoft site and see if they have any patches to remedy this?

There is also Windows95 and 98 Compatability mode too... :)

Back