• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing windows 10 through a usb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurricano

Registered
Hi if i just freshly built a PC and my hard drives are empty and i have a copy of windows installed on a usb drive and i plugged the usb in, would i be able to install windows through it or would it only work with a disc?

if it is setup as an a bootable install disc then it would indeed work

No no.
Go here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can create a Windows 10 installation USB directly from the latest official Microsoft Windows 10 download.

Note that even if you have are saving your download on another drive, MediaCreationTool will not start the download unless there is at least 16GB of free space on C Drive, even if you have more space on other drives.

There have been off and on problems with the Media Creation tool. If you have problems such that it doesn't complete making the installer, move the .exe creator tool file from the downloads folder to the USB stick itself and run it from there.

you can also use Easy2boot
once you install it to a flash drive all you have to do is drag and drop the ISO to the flash drive (windows folder)
if you need UEFI you can do that as well but takes a few more steps

You could also use the Rufus USB tool or preferably PowerISO. All you have to do is run poweriso as administrator and select "create bootable USB" from the drop down menu. Use it all the time with win7/8/10 installation media...

Back