• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intake and exhaust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xhoangx

Registered
hey everyone, i'll be building my first computer soon and just wanna know something, does turning a fan around make it change from intake to exhaust and vice versa? if so, which side of the fan does what? by the way my case has place for 13 fans, 4 80mm in front, 4 80mm in back, 1 80mm on top, along with 2 80mm and 2 120mm on one side? also, which fans should be exhausts and which should be intakes?(i don't need to use them all as i don't it to be that loud? any answers and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

yes... if its old.. look at the rotations of the fans.. on my the side that gets the most dust.. is the direction is blows at

my fans are new(unused), there is a rounded side and a concave(i think thats the word) side, which one is which

Yes. Case fans generally come with screw hols on both ends so you have the choice of mounting it as an exhaust or an intake. as far as orientation, I believe the side with the label is the direction of the airflow, but that's not true in every case (some even have labels on both sides) you can test this after you build your system by connecting it to the psu to let it run & see where it blows the air. The combined noise of the fans running together will not be that loud as the noise does not increase that much when adding sound, so you can have good airflow in your case easily with the way it's set up. normally, the front grills are for intake, as they're located toward the bottom of the case to bring it cooler air. (cold air settles, hot air rises).
I think you should set up the side grills as intake, and the 4 in the back are probably located under the psu mount, which means they're higher in the case and they're located near the CPU so you can exhaust the hot air there to flow cooler air through. the top fan is definitely for exhaust to blow out all hot air that accumulates on the top of the case.

Soy

good advice so far, but I have a few things to add:

EXPERIMENT!

Cases and systems all differ- low in front for intake and high in back for exhaust are generally correct, but......

also- usually the best results are gained from airflow that is CLOSE to balanced with maybe just a bit more intake.

As always, your mileage may vary ;) so try different setups.

the concave side is the way the air will go, the round side is the top of the fan.

Do you really need 13 fans? You box will be as loud as a boom box if all 13 fans are running in addition to cpu fan and psu fan.

i bought it on ebay from some company called ezpc or something, i'm not sure. i've had it for almost a year now.

im surprised no one has said this (or did i miss it?), the fan's direction is witchever side teh plastic things that hold the middle are... that is generally the lable side but i have NEVER seen a fan that pushed air away from the side with the those on it...:D

My ideal ventilation will be 2 intake fans at front, 1 intake at side,
one exhaust on top, 1-2 exhaust at back plus fan on psu. Anything more will be unnecessary and inefficient.

this is what i have
biostar M7VIT Pro MB
AMD 1700+ T-Bred(don't know if A or B yet, should come tomorrow, ordered from newegg)

this is what i wanna get:
512 2700 or 3200 DDR(up to one gig later on)
a cdr drive
a dvd drive
a 120 GB HD(and one more hd later on)
and a 128mb TI4200

how many watts power supply should i get?
also, if i get the SK-7 Heatsink can i use one of my 80mm case fans instead of a 70mm TMD fan?

damn...........my processor came today and its a tbred a

here's the info from http://www.bloodys.com/scripts/cpu.php#:

Athlon XP Processor High-end
Core Thoroughbred-A
CPU Model 8
Performance Rating 1700+
Working frequency 1467 MHz
Package Type OPGA
Operating Voltage 1.5 V
Max Die Temperature 90° C
L1 Cache Size 128 KB
L2 Cache Size 256 KB
Multiplier 11x
FSB Frequency 266 MHz
Stepping Code AIRGA
Manufacture Year 2002
Manufacture Week 50
Production Batch A
Batch Production Number 0897
Downgraded from 2600+

how much do you guys think i'll be able to overclock it to? what's the highest speed you've seen someone overclock a tbred a to?

Back